No Frame Jig.

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kzoldman

I have been working on my truck cab but I am ready to see two parallel rails in the shop with some wheels on it.[dr I order my tubing today and I have my plans drawn out on what I want. It will be your typical frame with a Z in the front and a Z in the back. I was just wondering how some of you guys manage to weld the pieces together for each rail and keep it all straight from one end to the other. I do not have a fancy frame jig. All I have is a flat cement floor, welder[;), clamps and some beer. :D Some pics would be great.

I've seen guys build frames directly on cement floors, seen them build wooden frames too. Neither of which are very level, maybe steel would be better. Would take a lot of measuring I suppose. Even Henry wasn't all that precise. Maybe some others can give their advice.

ISore

Build the two sides on top of each other, so they match. Seperate the two rails, and make sure they are plum.
Then shim up the rails off the floor until they are level at every point along the rails.
Tack it together, and cross measure the frame.

A set of pipe clamps works well.

I've built several frames and heavily modified, all without a frame jig. Suprisingly, all of them go down the road straight[S. Follow Boneheads advice, he knows his stuff. Also, you can build a temporary frame jig out of wood by screwing short pieces of 2"X4" to a thick piece of plywood. Mark out the plywood with the shape of your chassis (after building the rails in the method suggested by Bonehead) and screw the pieces of 2"X4" to the plywood along your marked lines. lay your rails and cross members between the 2"X4"s and tack them together. Something like this............

or this.............

Thanks guys, good advice! I am picking up my metal today. I'll update my build when I get it cut and welded. Ready to get something rolling :)

Here's how I did mine I had an old metal table. I took the table leveled it and then built the rails. Then I took the rails and squared them to the table and each other. Took some C-clamps and locked the rails in place. Then I cut some 2x4s and C-clamped them to the front and back to hold the x-members in place.

11238_102978343057006_100000345214379_70100_2259166_n.jpg

11238_102978339723673_100000345214379_70099_7684783_n.jpg

Latest posts

Back