no front brakes?

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DirtRatsSpeedShop

ok so i have a osr mag and it has this race car guy that had a shop build him a rat rod its ok it has some pretty cool things about it but the one thing that caught my eye was he ran no front brakes they were just spindles and he just had discs on the back i thought it (looked) very cool just asking how safe do you think it is? and does anyone know how to set it up or what to use? (spindles that is)

im gonna run a ford 9 in so it wont be hard to get discs for the rear just wondering what you guys think

Not only is it a horrible idea, but probably illegal too, 70 percent of a cars braking is done by the front brakes, and if you want to try out your daily driver, just get it up to speed and use just the emergency brake to try to stop it. Back in the '70's (which was one of the darkest hours for hot rodding IMO) some people were building cars sans front brakes. Not only did their peers who knew better give them a hard time, but so did the law in many cases.

If you want the look but want to be safe, spring for a set of 10 or 12 spoke front wheels that simulate the "altered, gasser" look, but still retain brakes. If you ever had a wreck and they saw no front brakes somebody else would be living in your house and driving your cars.:(

Don

Brakes!?

Like Don said... that's far too dangerous. No big deal for a 1/4 miler but on the street... that can be deadly!!! I've seen guys do it but I like breathin' too much!

BoB

Quite a few T Buckets in the 70's & 80's ran with motorcycle front wheels and no brakes. The good part is around here they didn't put many miles on them (short summer).

Yep did it in the 60's & 70's - to look Kool, but sure didn't stop em too well
Look at the duece roadster I'm doin now
And the coupe I did last year
:cool: :cool:

Attachments

• 09 Roadster engine in 002.jpg
    09 Roadster engine in 002.jpg
    115.7 KB · Views: 26
  • Nu Orange Finished 004.jpg
    Nu Orange Finished 004.jpg
    150.2 KB · Views: 19
Like Don said... that's far too dangerous. No big deal for a 1/4 miler but on the street... that can be deadly!!! I've seen guys do it but I like breathin' too much!

BoB

Just to add to you Bob, I ran a Dragster ( they only have back brakes) in the 1/8 mile and the chute failed and I could not get it to stop it heated up the brakes so bad it just glazed them over it was like metal to metal could not imagine not having front breaks on the road.

Attachments

• DSCN0565.jpg
    DSCN0565.jpg
    118.8 KB · Views: 13
  • DSCN0672.jpg
    DSCN0672.jpg
    96.4 KB · Views: 12
  • DSCN0651.jpg
    DSCN0651.jpg
    118.8 KB · Views: 16
Last edited:
Slicks!

I saw a beautiful deuce coupe once that had slicks on the rear & no front brakes, I nearly fainted! Could you imagine getting caught in a big rain like that? Scared me just looking at it!

Beercan

Do not do it, I did and learned my lesson.
Slicks and no front brakes are not a happy thing when wet.......

Image1.jpg

This comment will be a little off topic, but I have to say from some of the pictures you guys are posting of your rides in this thread, and other threads, we have some very heavy hitters on this forum. Your cars are first rate. For example, I remember that little red Bantam from some of the magazines back then, and always loved it. The Deuces and drag car are first rate too. I'm really proud to be a member of the same forum with all of you.:):)

Don

Mr.Don, no Bantam in my pic...
That be a model A 4 door with the front doors cut out.

Cut the frame and floor and welded it all back togeather,When your
young anything is "no big deal"
Would I do something like it now? No way, It's taken me 4 1/2 years
to do my "kit car" so far :D

Now that I look at it I see that, I coulda swore it was an American Bantam body all along. Whatever it is, you did a superior job on it. :):)

Don

Latest posts

Back