Normal price on metal? Does this sound about right?

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just paid $85 for 10 ft stick of 2x4x1/4 here, i bought a stick the same size abt 2 months ago at the same place for $120, so its come waay down.

I called a place in Davenport IA (seen a billboard on a recent road trip) for three 12ft sticks of 2"X3"X 3/16" wall rec tubing and it was $124. I called a place here in Chicago and it was $221 here. WTF

I had a salesman come into the shop last week saying that he could beat everybody elses prices. Got the quote faxed to me today and he is crushing the competition. For example 6x3x3/16 = $5 a foot. The local warehouse wants $7.50, and another one of our suppliers wants $6.75. So you bet your arse im gonna order from this guy. Never have before, so im not sure on the quality of the steel. But it never hurts to price around before you buy, just like anything else.

Its been said, but steel prices change daily. Just like gas prices.

I called a place in Davenport IA (seen a billboard on a recent road trip) for three 12ft sticks of 2"X3"X 3/16" wall rec tubing and it was $124. I called a place here in Chicago and it was $221 here. WTF

Hey, I live in Davenport! What place was that?

Metal Mart 1-800-255-4459.
Dont know the adress but the billboard said Davenport IA. We have a place in Northern Illinois and I saw the billboard at the corner of RT 20 and Pecatonica Rd. by Pecatonica Illinois.

Thanks! Looked up the # - Came up as Steel Mart in Dubuque Ia. Wonder if they have a place in Davenport now. May call sometime just to find out.

Metal Mart 1-800-255-4459.
Dont know the adress but the billboard said Davenport IA. We have a place in Northern Illinois and I saw the billboard at the corner of RT 20 and Pecatonica Rd. by Pecatonica Illinois.

At least you got Pecatonica right! lol!! Don't feel bad even Obama called Sioux Falls-Sioux City at a speech in SF. Just found it humorous that you could remember Pecatonica....

Steel prices are crazy....the steel companies like to shut down to create shortages increasing the supply/demand factor justifying a price hike...US Steel has had most of their processing plants shut down for months now. Definitely shop around, you should be in a good area for manufacturers to buy from.

I just bought a stick of 1.5 .090 wall DOM round tubing last week for the roll bar in my 27 (it's a chromed cosmetic one, not a real roll bar per se) and I paid $ 4.75 a foot. Steel seems to be up right now.

Don

Latest posts

Back