Novel idea for a battery box!

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My radio/battery box research proves something else!

This just goes to show that you can't always be sure of what your told! For whatever reason I sort of doubted the word of the guy who sold me my radio box from the start. I knew there was something about the "radioplane signal generator" that just didn't add up. So I started researching the thing and although it's not as cool as a bomber radio, it does have some interesting historical value and some cool facts behind it. Basically, the unit was designed to transmit control signals to miniature scale target drones or "RC" aircraft for military aerial gunnery practice and training back in the 40's and 50's. The Hollywood actor Reginald Denny developed the first models because he was a RC airplane enthusiast and he eventually founded the Radioplane Co. He pitched his ideas to the Military who showed alot of interest and then later sold his Company to Northrup Aviation. On a side note, Marilyn Monroe was discovered while working at the Radioplane Plant in Van Nuys, California too. Cool stuff huh??? :cool:

:D It's cool to know the real history behind this thing!

Here's an article about it!

http://www.hooked-on-rc-airplanes.com/uav-drone.html

Thunder

Last edited:
That's pretty neat. When my father was in the AF he was in a Tow Target Squadron. Where the towed a target on a cable behind their aircraft. You just hoped the gunnery crews had a good aim!

You already know this but that's exactly why they wanted to develop and use these drones. They realized live targets were putting a lot of men and aircraft into too much risk. They talk some about bullet holes in the tail fins of the tow planes. Your Dad was pretty brave to fly those missions!! Yikes!!!

T1

Here's some pictures of a squadron shirt he had in the AF in Korea. He was in the 6th Tow Target Squadron at Johnson AFB Korea. They flew Douglas Invader B-26s also called A-26s.

004-1.jpg

005.jpg

007.jpg

Very cool! Funny how all this sort of relates isn't it? I mean my research into the true purpose of this signal generator and your Dad's role in the tow squadron. I really like that shirt and all the insignia's etc.. too

Pat

Thanks gamracer3! I wasn't really sure how it would go over with others but you have to dare to be different. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't! The idea probably wouldn't have worked without some input from some of the guys here. They have great forethought and could see the potential issues I might have in making it work. I addressed the issues and I think it'll work just fine now.

I think know exactly what your talking about. Yes, I think you should. If a street light can be turned into a scoop a camera cover ought to be a breeze!

T1

I think know exactly what your talking about. Yes, I think you should. If a street light can be turned into a scoop a camera cover ought to be a breeze!

T1

I'm going to stop today and see how much they want for them.

I stopped and asked how much......$25 each!! I'll bet they've never sold any of them. I'd give $10 but not $25.

Last edited:
All this interesting talk about hidden master switches and the like got me to thinking. Would a regular toggle switch of any kind, hooked up to a solenoid work? It it would, there would be no need to run the battery cable inside the cab. I know the old Ford solenoids are used in a variety of applications. Heck, if you used a solenoid, you could even use a push button starter switch off an old snow mobile or something for the starter. I use relays for my H4 headlights, one for hi beam and another for low beam. That way I don't have any large current inside the cab.

Latest posts

Back