NSRA

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rainman

Rough Rodder
I've got a question for you guys. I suppose you've heard by now the NSRA has decided to raise the limit on the year for the street rod nationals, to 1980 I've heard. I was just wondering if this has any affect on RRR members or not. Living very near Louisville I think its a terrible mistake. What are you're views?

The majority of people that I have talked to seem to not like the new rule change. The NSRA said that 98% of their members voted to raise the cut-off year to 1980. That only leaves us 2%er's wondering where the 98% are. I personally haven't met more than a couple who said they like the idea. :mad:.....CR

Well why not? I mean look at all of those sweet cars that came out in 1980. I mean you guys can picture these as street rods right? I mean when I hear Hot rod I think of cars that came out of the 80's nothing before that. lol

Attachments

• junk1.jpg
    junk1.jpg
    198.1 KB · Views: 17
  • junk4.jpg
    junk4.jpg
    198.3 KB · Views: 13
  • junk 2.jpg
    junk 2.jpg
    190.4 KB · Views: 14
  • junk 3.jpg
    junk 3.jpg
    175.7 KB · Views: 16
  • what.jpg
    what.jpg
    125.2 KB · Views: 19
The majority of people that I have talked to seem to not like the new rule change. The NSRA said that 98% of their members voted to raise the cut-off year to 1980. That only leaves us 2%er's wondering where the 98% are. I personally haven't met more than a couple who said they like the idea. :mad:.....CR

not a nsra member- but i know what you're talkin about....it must be that the 98% were those that were actually asked to vote or something
like not everyone actually being asked for an opinion/vote but of the 98% they chose to ask, went for it...

doesn't everyone want to see a 80 citaition next to a 32 roadster:D:confused::(

Except for the Nationals I think they don't get very good attendance at their shows. Goodguys tends to get more & they have opened up to later models. I don't remember the years though.

Except for the Nationals I think they don't get very good attendance at their shows. Goodguys tends to get more & they have opened up to later models. I don't remember the years though.

This is from the Goodguys site:
Most Goodguys events welcome rods, customs, classics, trucks, street machines and muscle cars through 1972 vintage while the “Get-Togethers” welcome all, years, makes & models of American powered cars and trucks.

Most of NSRA's events except the Nationals get around 3-4,000 vehicles.

I am a member of the host club for the Nats South in Knoxville every May. ......didn't ask us! We work about 600 manhours in 3 days. (about 40 guys). But I gotta say the NSRA has done a lot to advance the car hobby....all facets of it. But they are ALL ABOUT THE MONEY. Attendance has been going down and so has the money. I don' t think anyone would have had a problem up to 72.....totally out of touch with thier members.

I am a member of the host club for the Nats South in Knoxville every May. ......didn't ask us! We work about 600 manhours in 3 days. (about 40 guys). But I gotta say the NSRA has done a lot to advance the car hobby....all facets of it. But they are ALL ABOUT THE MONEY. Attendance has been going down and so has the money. I don' t think anyone would have had a problem up to 72.....totally out of touch with thier members.

NO ONE WANTS TO TALK TO YOU....LOL. Kidding buddy, we do put a lot of time in at the show and from what we see behind doors it is about the money. On there side of thing if they didnt open it up when all you old guys die off no one will be left at the shows...lol. So they have to get the younger guys there with the cars they can afford...lol Man Im just opening up a big can of WTF.....

Guess a lot of it is based on your age. If your 25 now, a 80 whatever is a old car, after all, it's been around longer than you! Us older guys are taken 'dirt naps' at an increasing frequency, a trend that's not going to change. Do the directors of an organization wait until the status quo dies off, and the movement dies with them? Or do they make the changes that are required to keep it going as a whole. In my opinion, they did what they had to do, they see the writing on the wall. Yes, some feathers have been ruffled, and ones that can't or won't take changes in the daily workings of life will move on to regroup with with others of their kind. If enough move on, something will emerge to satisfy their needs. It's called 'evolution'. Sniper

Guess a lot of it is based on your age. If your 25 now, a 80 whatever is a old car, after all, it's been around longer than you! Us older guys are taken 'dirt naps' at an increasing frequency, a trend that's not going to change. Do the directors of an organization wait until the status quo dies off, and the movement dies with them? Or do they make the changes that are required to keep it going as a whole. In my opinion, they did what they had to do, they see the writing on the wall. Yes, some feathers have been ruffled, and ones that can't or won't take changes in the daily workings of life will move on to regroup with with others of their kind. If enough move on, something will emerge to satisfy their needs. It's called 'evolution'. Sniper

You hit the nail on the head.

You are verycorrect, Sniper. I can remember when the old guys in the antique clubs used to throw rocks at us..........they could not stand what we were doing to the cars. They are all but gone now, So, yes, evolution will occur..........but GEEZ........1980? Hey, hey double a.

How many on this site are old farts? ...really old farts....over 65?

I am 41. I have been going to street rods shows since the early 90's. I got my dad into pre-49's not the other way around.

So what if the really old guys quit going. New guys will pick up the slack. Maybe not to the point of where it was in the late 90's/early 2000's when everybody was rolling in easy money. ,,,but Obama and Gore are not going to completely wipe out the internal combustion engine (some people consider 30 years and older obsolete junk).

Street rods aren't going to get crushed. Somebody will buy them and love them.

Alot of the people that I run across that own these "street rods" have 90 grand in them and clean hands because they just right the check and talk about what they built while some other guy built it. now they can have a $100,000.00 chevette. just an opinion.

Hey, Flipper....really old fart here. I'll be 66 next bday. Going on 16! To a degree u r correct but in the "street rod club" I belong to, there has been 7 or 8 guys die in the last 3-4 years. Their cars sold for $30 to $60K. You know, not a lot of younger guys can afford that all at once (me neither!) but can afford to build. Cash outlay is in small increments. I think "street rods" are going to become harder to sell. Besides, unpainted, junkyard built "hot rods" are a LOT more fun!!!!Really, there is every situation out there, from one end of the spectrum to the other.

Shakey

O yea Im going on 28 old....lol. I love street rods, hot rods, rat rods, customs, muscle cars just about everthing but Imports. Im one of the rare few that started young and love this stuff ( just ask the old fart above me..lol) and will keep it going as long as I can, but some younger guys cant buy the old stuff like I can. So by moving up the years on the shows it helps the younger guys pluse it helps the people that put on the shows. :rolleyes:

It doesn't really matter what the year model cut off is as far as costs go.

After you get past initial purchase price, they cost about the same to build. Late models may even cost more/be more aggrivating to re-do do to the fact that they have snapped together plastic parts (may not be re-usable after teardown). Not to mention all of the extra dodads on late models.

Tearing a car down to do paint and upholstery ain't cheap no matter what it is.

If you want a nice one, it is going to cost you. A decent (non-32 to 34 ford roadster) rod can be built for less money than a nice 69 camaro.

Latest posts

Back