Offsetting master cylinder

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Frank J

Has anyone ever had to offest their master?
The reason I ask is that I want to mount the m/c below the floor, problem is that it can not go in line with the pedal for issues concerning exhaust placement etc.
I would like to mount it closer to the tail stock on the tranny, this solves heat issues and allows me a little more access to it when needed.
Are there any pics of what has been used? I have an idea about fabbing a shaft that the pedal and m/c would connect to allowing me to have about a 4 1/2" offset which is what I am after.
Any thoughts, good, bad or otherwise?

I'm thinking the same thing as George, bellcrank. I know of no mc that is not a straight shot design. Bellcrank would not be hard to fab up.

Don

have you ever seen a stock 41 chevy truck master mount ?
they mount backward and ues a bellcrank typ of pull typ pedel under the floor.

I have a bellcrank thing under one car. It turns the push 90 degrees and the master cylinder is on the pass side. Another car has the master cylinder forward next to the frame . The brake lever has the arm on top and it pushes forward. This is nice as you can check the fluid without pulling the floor up.

Let's see if I can take the idea I have and put it to words that make sense...
I was going to run a shaft perpendicular to the frame rail where it is required to go. The shaft would be be bushed or have bearings installed for smooth rotation. The shaft would have to pass through a cross member (design hindsight) in order to get over far enough to connect to the m/c.
The rod from the pedal would run to this shaft and connect to a 'lever' for lack of a better word.
Inboard from this approximately 4 1/2", another 'lever' would connect a rod from here to the plunger on the m/c.
You could even play with the lever design to gain some mechanical advantage if required.
I guess this would be similar to a bell crank, I'm just not 100% sure if what I'm thinking in the same line or not.
I do not have enough room to run a direct linkage from the pedal to the m/c and even if I did, I think the angle is too great and you would wind up loosing some mechanical advantage with the direction of force.
These are non-power assisted by the way.
Think about it in plan view, it really is simple.
So, any more thoughts?

sound like you got it figured out to me .just mock it up and try it .dont weld any thing permenant till you know for sure.:)

Look at the clutch pedals on a late '40's Ford. The pedal is on one end of a shaft and the tab for the actuating rod is pinned to the other end of the shaft. You could pattern your brake pedal after that.

Youngster

Latest posts

Back