oil bath air cleaner

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mountain

Has anyone converted an oil bath air cleaner to a filter type. I was trying to save a couple bucks and convert my air cleaner on my 57 International because oil is always splashing out and down my carb. I don't have it filled to high it’s just my truck just drives like an old farm truck and is a little wobbly. I am working out the wobbly issues right now (waiting on new rims for wheelsmithes to arrive any day) but I am still thinking of the filter type air cleaner. I see a lot of chrome single barrel air cleaners out there but chrome does not fit my truck. Any thoughts? Thanks!

I would think that with some work,

you could do that.....if you google oil bath air filter conversion a ton of info pops up....just an FYI...even a you tube video.... :D

If the oil is splashing out, it might be a lighter weight oil than is indicated for the oil bath.
But anyways, the conversion involves cutting out the upper element, then identifying a paper filter element that will fit the canister. You may need to add a "floor" for it to seal against in the bottom, and you may need to use two filter elements to get the right height.

I went out and did some research (I should have done this 1st, sorry) and found a couple good examples. I guess for the cost of a generic air filter I should just go buy one and save the original in case some purist is doing a full resto and needs it. Thanks for the help. I will post pics when I get a new one on so you can see what the final decision was. Thanks everyone!

Latest posts

Back