Oil spill

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If one good thing comes out of this mess I hope it is that the idiots who actually wanted to put more of these things in the Gulf meet so much resistance from the public that they never get to drill one more hole.

BP is like the gang who couldn't shoot straight...........they have no clue how to solve this thing. :mad::mad:

Don

If one good thing comes out of this mess I hope it is that the idiots who actually wanted to put more of these things in the Gulf meet so much resistance from the public that they never get to drill one more hole.

BP is like the gang who couldn't shoot straight...........they have no clue how to solve this thing. :mad::mad:

Don

That's not a great idea, no offense but we need oil. if you quit drilling in the gulf we are only more dependant on foreign oil and gas will sky rocket. I know a lot of people don't really understand what is going on here and make these kinds of statements, but it's really not the best thing to stop drilling in the gulf

i heard there was a huge group of people who donated their hair to use for the cleanup, but bp wasn't having it. i don't really agree with drilling in the gulf, at least not until the safety inspector types are out of the oil companies pockets. it's kinda like the mafia, you got enough green, they'll o.k it. doesn't matter whats actually going on, everybody is making money off of it (except us) and that's all that matters. i firmly believe there are better ways of doing things, i don't think we need petro nearly as much as we've all been led to believe. but then they wouldn't make money. it all goes back to that, get the most you can with the least possible input.

Don

It's because of the idiots that didn't want them drilling in shallow waters where they could have repaired the leak easily. The people in the gulf overwhelmingly want to drill, that's how a large percentage of them make a living.

out of thousands of deep water rigs one got screwed up. BP has given a bad name to the industry. America NEEDS oil! anyone that says to stop drilling in the gulf simply does not know what they are talking about.

Yeah, and decades down the road when we are still dealing with the aftermath of this "little incident" tell your Kids and Grandkids how we needed oil so bad we left them to inherit an earth where once pristine water and beaches only are a memory. Nice to trade your Kids future for a few gallons of high test.:mad:

What this greed reminds me of is that when I lived in Pennsylvania there was a steel town named Clairton. The US STEEL Clairton Works was the dirtiest, most polluting steel mill around...........I worked there and you NEVER took a good car to work because the quench from the process would rain down on the paint and eat it off. People who lived there had kids with all kinds of ailments and short life expectancies. So the Government came in and tried to get the mill to clean up their act, and believe it or not, MOTHERS started picketing saying "Don't mess around with the mill, this is our livelihood." They didn't care if it was killing their kids, all they cared about was the almighty paycheck they were getting each week. I had to quit working there after 6 months because I was coughing up black stuff and didn't want to know what it was doing to my lungs.

We humans are about the only race that destroys our own habitat, and we justify it by saying we need this or that. Some " superior race" we are. :mad::mad: We humans are a sorry lot.

Don

The funny thing about oil is that it "spills" into the ocean naturally, and at a much higher rate than what was spilled in the gulf. The gulf will take care of itself. Our kids are just as likely to not know a difference than to realize what has happened before their time.

It is not a good argument to compare this spill to some small town with a mill way back when. IT'S NOT THE SAME THING! People have worked with oil for a long time without any "ailments". The ocean is able to clean up this mess the same way it can clean up the mess it makes for itself.

People are right, America does not NEED oil, we have just become dependant upon things oil provides, like hospitals, plastics, cars, etc. Its real easy to say people are greedy, but until you quit driving your car you are just as dependant on oil as the next guy. Let's be honest, before this happened did you say to yourself "we should really stop drilling in the gulf, this could really be a bad thing"? The answer is no, because this has NEVER happened before.

This is a wonderful site, I truly enjoy spending time going through build threads and seeing what other people are building. But I cannot sit back and bite my tongue when people jump on the band wagon and ridicule oil when they are just as dependant as the next person. This is my lively hood.

Paul

Ah, now we see the reason for your position on this..........it's your paycheck too. That's what it always comes down to. You have your view and I have mine. It's very easy to say we've only had one situation like this, but the fact is, this one is so big we may never know the full impact it has caused.

I have friends who lived and worked in Galveston Tx and have told me horror stories about how the oil barges flush their tanks right in the Gulf so they can go pick up a different grade oil, or how they anchor on sensitive reefs without regard for the damage they cause. They also told me that the Hotels at one time provided soap, shampoo, and a special cleaner so you could get the tar balls off of your feet after you visited the beach. Or how support vessels for the drilling operations consume every bit of shoreline instead of it being available for recreational use. These people worked as Captains for the supply boats and even they were disgusted by the damage oil drilling causes.

That sort of existence may be what some people want but count me out.

Don

Your stories don't make much of a difference, you cannot argue the fact that America is dependant upon oil. Unless you trade your rod for a horse and buggy you are contributing to this whether you would like to admit it or not. You cannot just wash your hands and say you disagree with it. It's all or nothing. Heaven forbid someone make money for providing something that people need.

I have been in the oil field all my life, I am not ashamed of it. I will not argue things can be improved. But stopping drilling and blaming big bad oil companies is not the answer. I will not revisit this issue, you can have the last word. Let's get back to talking about hot rods

Paul

Nat gas!

We should do the smart thing and switch to American natural gas. We have natural gas right here on our own shores in abundance. They estimate big trucks and municipal fleets account for 70% of our energy consumption. We should make all of our cities run most or all of their vehicles on NG & stop importing foreign oil & being forced to drill offshore. With their dismal track record, BP should also be banned from drilling in anywhere in the US (on land or offshore). I saw just the other day where Exxon is starting to buy up Nat Gas reserves, I hope that continues. My .02!

Beercan

No, I apologize Paul, you are evidently just a nice guy who is entitled to earn an honest living and I bet your job is a tough one. And I am no tree hugger by any stretch of the imagination. It is just that it saddens me to see the condition we have left the world in for generations that follow us.

Shakey, don't feel bad, you just posted a normal post and my feelings over this situation took it over the edge, I apologize to everyone.

Don

I don't think appolligies are in order for either of you, you had a very intelligent rational dissagreement. Nothing wrong with that, its just a hot button issue for all of us.

No, I apologize Paul, you are evidently just a nice guy who is entitled to earn an honest living and I bet your job is a tough one. And I am no tree hugger by any stretch of the imagination. It is just that it saddens me to see the condition we have left the world in for generations that follow us.

Shakey, don't feel bad, you just posted a normal post and my feelings over this situation took it over the edge, I apologize to everyone.

Don

Don, there is no need for apologizes, we both feel very strong about our opinions and I feel we both made some valide points. I am not mad or upset I hope you are not either. I have not been here long, but I really enjoy it here. I do have a lot of respect for the way you carry yourself. Let's put this behind us and get on with what this site is all about.

Shakey, sorry for hi-jacking your thread, I too apologize to everyone.

Paul

Guys there is a bigger picture going on here. I have come to believe this is all part of a more elaborate scheme to create a false sense of scarcity. Which dives up prices and gives the powers that be more control over your lives. What is my evidence you ask. First the government was pushing environmental issues way back it the 70"s. Then people thinking there doing the right thing start protesting drilling in "SENSITIVE" areas, and the pollution refineries apparently caused. This was a tool used to slowly close down the industry creating a bottle neck. The US now has less that 20% of the oil refineries it had 35 yrs ago. As well many of it's active land based wells closed. Then in the early 90's I seen a documentary (which has since conveniently disappeared into the memory hole) on the Discovery Channel that had many geologists on, all making the case that oil is produced as a product of the earth's natural internal functions. What was there evidence you ask. Simple, they are drilling for oil at depths far deeper than any vegetation or dinosaur has ever been buried. Oil does not sink, it rises. Plus, remember all those closed wells........ yeah, there full again. Now for the cue de gras. There has been an oil discovery on the North Shore of Alaska that dwarfs all known oil reserves on the planet. Why are they not drilling for this easy oil?

This video clip is just a small sample of what's going on up there.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DVp7iXnicsA

Much bigger questions need to be asked and answers demanded. Don't let the main stream media lead you with doctored info.

Last edited:
I think we should run our cars on peanut butter, smooth not crunchy! [dr

There has been an oil discovery on the North Shore of Alaska that dwarfs all known oil reserves on the planet. Why are they not drilling for this easy oil?

So when we burn up all the cheap arab oil, we'll be the ony ones with any oil left! [cl

BF

Latest posts

Back