Ok quick question but a long read here kinda personal

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

johnparts

Ok heres where I start I've narrowly avoided a layoff which you guy read about a few months ago. now here we are three months later and I've stopped getting paid because the boss needs to get caught up on some shop bills which I understand with the economy in shambles and all and the fact that we had no work for a month. I even told him it was ok I could make do for a week or two with my savings and he said I'll make it up to you when we get caught up. So me being the inventive person I am I decided since I'm a good fabricator and we sponsor a drag racing series I would set-up a winter cage special to drum up some business and it worked pretty well we now have a ton of work in the shop and I've been working my tail off to get cars back out quickly and correctly without overwhelming myself. Why post this well it's been a month and a half and still nothing not even a bone here and there to help with my bills. Now thankfully I'm smart enough that I don't have a car payment but there are other bills comming in and I cant pay them. I've tried to sell some of my projects but no one is buying anything right now. I dont want to have to look for another job and I've built his business up for him the last year and a half and I feel like I'm being taken advantage of here. I've talked to him about this and he says we will be caught up soon and the work I've done is helping but come on when will this end. What should I do? My name is associated with his shop now and I dont want to leave and leave him hi and dry.

Protect yourself. At least have your boss give you collateral for the loan you are giving him. Tell him you will hold title to one of his cars, or take home some equipment (with a bill of sale) And when he gets caught back up he can buy them back. As it is now if he goes under, not only do you go to, but you loose what you have put in. Or have him sell something to pay you. Maybe one of these guys can come up with something better.

I say it's time to put him up against the wall and let him know how things are going to be. If business is that good and he still doesn't have any money then he is sifting it off somewhere, gambling, whores, something.

I say it's time to put him up against the wall and let him know how things are going to be. If business is that good and he still doesn't have any money then he is sifting it off somewhere, gambling, whores, something.

I know for a fact thats not it I have seen the books and I know for a fact that we are getting caught up and there is no extra after the overhead right now But I have several jobs that will pay well and I dont want to have to stand there at his side while he deposits that money and ask for a check right there but I will if it comes down to it.

I have been on both sides of that fence.

Maybe you should ask for part ownership.

Is he paying his bills?

You have to look out for you, nobody else can do it as good as you.

When its all said and done, its still his buisness. Protect yourself.

Work Notice ; This Is Not A Sit At Home Job

so is he doing anything to bring in any $$$ or just living off your work??? :(maybee you need to take the work and start your own business and leave him in the cold if he wont share some of the $$$$$
it sounds bad but if you have to work free there is not much future, may have to walk and find a paying job, Micky d's would be better at least you could get cheep food??

I've already told him that my sweat equity is worth 5% of the business for every year I put in for him. He is paying the bills which is why he cant pay me right now. I know we will turn around soon but I dont know how much longer I can hold out.

A Lepord never changes his spots.One of my sons and a nephew got caught in similsr situations. Both of their employerss were lying,dishonest. crooks. Both left and went on their own and with out trying took a lot of the customers with them. The customers also realised the former bosses were not good men and were glad to switch. He is not gonna change . Cut your losses and get away from him ASSP.

My brother in law went through the exact thing a year back. First around Thanksgiving his boss didnt pay the employees for a week saying times were hard and he needed to get caught up. Everyone stayed. Two months later the paychecks stopped right b4 X-mas. He said he was gonna make it up to everyone and most still stayed. Right around New Years he walked in the office to find him shreading paperwork. It turns out he had be defrauding his commercial accounts by double billing time etc. Within the week he had been shut down by the IRS and was facing criminal charges. He skipped town and stole most of my Brother in laws tools telling him that he stole from the company. Turns out he also didnt pay any taxes on his wages and took all his 401K contributions. Find a new job! If you can generate income for him, you can generate income for yourself. I would also openly solicit his accounts. Also immediately begin filing unemployment. You are already eligible, seeing how you havent been paid for your services. Tell them what hes doing to you , because it is not legal. He is in fact violating national labor laws. I think you know that this situation is going to end badly for you. God Bless. Remember the law is on your side. You are the victim here not him.

Hummm!!!

hummm... 9mm.. whoops... did I say that out loud?

I agree with Bonehead, Get some collaterol. If he files Bankruptcy or goes belly up, your out your money.

I'm definitely agree with the Bonehead & the Gold one here!!!!!!!!!!!!!

BoB

Last edited:
No matter what he says, intends, what "books" he shows you..he's playing you and you need to get the h**l out of that relationship. Back your truck up and start loading stuff up. Give him a week then file against him at the labor board, they always take the empoyees side.
Sure he might be a great guy but that doesn't pay your light bill. I have been in "situations" with my own family members, my own brother cost me my house a few years ago. I wish someone would have yanked my dumb arse out of there.
I still love him and don't hold any grudge (much) because of my bad decisions, but it was an expensive lesson.

Do not play the game any longer. Get the IRS involved. If he skips town or goes bankrupt you are out of everything. If he did not pay any of your pay roll taxes You will have a long road ahead of you. I hope you kept all of your pay stubs, you may need them.

I went through that years ago. The boss stopped paying me. about two month later he let us all go. I went to unemployment to collect and they told me I have not worked in the last 5 years. They said I needed proof. Luckily I kept all of my pay stubs and came back with them. Some of the other did not keep there pay stubs and it took along time for them to get there unemployment. The IRS did get involved and my boss went to jail. I also got all of the back pay from the IRS. It took about 8 months to get it. They sold his stuff off to pay all of his debt. Found out he had a gambling problem.

Also I hope you are keeping records of all the hours you have worked and not getting paid for. If he uses time cards try to get copies of them.

Look out for Number one. Thats You.

You should not have to sell what you worked for to keep him going.

wish you luck with it.

I have to agree with most all of the comments here...cover your backside first! Get copies of timecards since this happened, or at least document every minute you've been there and every job you worked on. With this info and previous pay stubs you can go to unemployment and the department of labor and industry. L&I will definitely be on your side should it come to that.

I also like the idea of getting some collateral. Be it tools or a vehicle title or whatever is of value that you can keep at home and be able to sell if the time came where you went in to work and the doors where locked.

Also since it seems you've been the guy bringing in work and doing the work...I'd start soliciting the customers to do the work yourself and to pay you directly, since your the one that's been doing what the customer has been paying for anyway....BUT I'd get the collateral first before this step.

About the only comments above I won't condone is Tripper thinking out loud...BUT sometimes it takes a little "gentle" persuasion like that for someone to be woken up to life as it really is.......Just don't advertise (or think out loud) if that course is taken :D

Either way you choose to go, I hope things work out for you...just don't let him take you down with him. C.Y.A.

A job is only a job if you are getting paid. You are being taken advantage of, no two ways about it. How can he even think about asking someone to work for him without being paid?????? Some nerve actually.

You should have seen the smoke signals when you were facing layoff 3 months ago.........this guy is in serious trouble and is making his problems YOUR problem. It is time to lay the cards on the table, I know jobs are harder to find right now, but ANYONE would hire you at the wage you are now earning.........ZERO!! You need to get something right now, money or some tangable asset like a car or tools or something. This is not right, and probably illegal too.

Although you guys have a relationship, this is strictly business. You are not independantly wealthy and need a job that pays the rent. If push comes to shove, take him to small claims court, but keep records of everything.......pay stubs, etc. In any event, how much longer do you want to keep hanging your hat on this losing proposition? Time to get out and find something else.

I would start by drafting up a promisory note for all back wages and have him sign it. Then you have proof to show a judge.

Don

BTW, are the other Techs Terry and Jeff getting paid? Also, if he isn't paying you, he isn't paying his suppliers either, so pretty soon the doors will close. You better get what you can while there is still some stuff there.

Oh, and one more thing. Any judgement you get prior to him going bankrupt is still collectable by you. Judgments are not forgiven in bankruptsy.

Last edited:
If you are an employee.(i.e. paid for hours worked) your 941's to the gov. are not being paid(social security, taxes and so forth) Your also not showing wages for unemployment or workmens comp. (trust me I know the pitfalls of that system). If you are a contractural employee i.e sub-contractor and you pay your own taxes from a 1099 or so forth, simply file a mechanics lein against his business, that way you will get your money if he attempts to dissolve.

You are right OG. It not only shorts him on weekly earnings, but all of that Government stuff too. He really needs to get this stopped NOW.

Don

A job is only a job if you are getting paid. You are being taken advantage of, no two ways about it. How can he even think about asking someone to work for him without being paid?????? Some nerve actually.

You should have seen the smoke signals when you were facing layoff 3 months ago.........this guy is in serious trouble and is making his problems YOUR problem. It is time to lay the cards on the table, I know jobs are harder to find right now, but ANYONE would hire you at the wage you are now earning.........ZERO!! You need to get something right now, money or some tangable asset like a car or tools or something. This is not right, and probably illegal too.

Although you guys have a relationship, this is strictly business. You are not independantly wealthy and need a job that pays the rent. If push comes to shove, take him to small claims court, but keep records of everything.......pay stubs, etc. In any event, how much longer do you want to keep hanging your hat on this losing proposition? Time to get out and find something else.

I would start by drafting up a promisory note for all back wages and have him sign it. Then you have proof to show a judge.

Don

BTW, are the other Techs Terry and Jeff getting paid? Also, if he isn't paying you, he isn't paying his suppliers either, so pretty soon the doors will close. You better get what you can while there is still some stuff there.

Oh, and one more thing. Any judgement you get prior to him going bankrupt is still collectable by you. Judgments are not forgiven in bankruptsy.

No Terry and Jeff are not getting paid But I know for a fact that the vendors are getting paid because him and Terry are writing the checks out everyday to get the bills caught up. There is light at the end of the tunnel here and I see new hope the list of overdue bills went from around 15 g down to about 4 g so things are looking up I just hope he throws us a bone soon.

Good, I'm happy for you. But please make sure this doesn't go too far without you taking some action...........protect yourself. Companies whether big or small have NO regard for you and I, regardless of how we feel about loyalty and all that stuff. I busted my tail for 3 years for the marina I worked for, and made them a ton of money. In the end the owner sold out for his $ 13.9 million and didn't even have the class or courtesy to tell any of us thank you or goodbye. His Son was the only one who stepped up to the plate, otherwise we would have been left out in the cold.

I hope everything works out well for you.:)

Don

No Terry and Jeff are not getting paid But I know for a fact that the vendors are getting paid because him and Terry are writing the checks out everyday to get the bills caught up. There is light at the end of the tunnel here and I see new hope the list of overdue bills went from around 15 g down to about 4 g so things are looking up I just hope he throws us a bone soon.

As a small business owner myself I ALWAYS put my guys first. I am always the last to get a paycheck (much to the girl friend's dismay) But whos going to do the work on monday Am when the guys dont show up because I didnt pay them fri? One hand washes the other.

I think you need to have a sit down with this guy (there have been some drastic things suggested that go too far in my opinion) and hammer out a serious written-in-stone deal with your boss. You seam to be a nice guy and a hard worker and he is taking advantage of that. If he cares to keep the business gonig he will understand that, and it would be in his best interest to make the agreement. Dont ask to see his books, it dosnt sound like thats in your job descrition. Cover your butt, you work hard for a paycheck, thats your end of the deal, ask him to uphold his. If he blows smoke up your butt about it, leave. :cool:

Latest posts

Back