Old Dude from the UP

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Old Dude

Hey all, just found this site and found it interesting. I'm from the Upper Peninsula of Michigan and have built a few rods in my time. I feel I still got enough in this old body for one more project.

I acquired an 31AA free from my Aunt when my Uncle passed away. He cut the back frame off and moved the rear forward, put a set of 10:20's on the back and used it for his bug/snow plow.

Anyway, here's the plan. I want a Rat Rod that looks like a 4x4 with 10:00x25's all the way around. I also want it reliable, but simple enough to work on as it will be my daily driver. I have a 350 vortex out of a 4x4 I'm converting to carb and HEI, a 3 speed auto with overdrive out of a 96 V6 chevy, all this hooked up to an early Ford Bronko ll rear with leaf springs. I already have the 29 A front axle and the 40 Ford spindles. This truck is surprisingly solid. The doors close with a satisfying thunk. It's also going silver with black fenders.

I'll keep everyone posted on the build. Nothing will be happening until spring. We got snow doncha know.

Okay, hope this works.

DSCN2847.jpg

One thing for sure is: I won't be lowering it or chopping it. I can just get my lard butt (just a few chicken wings short of 300#'s) in it. The original engine still turns over, but it's gotta go. I traded the whole driveline for enough gravel to do my driveway. I think I made out at 120.00 a 10 yard dump. I need about 10 loads.

Thanks guys. But I gotta do this last build before I can't do anything anymore. I want to leave it to my son, then his son. It will be a 2 wheel drive, but look look a 4x4. I need the height to get through some of these snow drifts up here. I believe I solved my steering problem. I have a rack and pinion off a 280z that sets behind the front axle. No problem. Steering box? Haven't figured that one out yet. Just might keep the original.

Welcome to the forum,
like the truck, not much rust, looks good, I have driven these trucks before, and they ain,t much for speed or comfort, I could walk faster than mine in low gear, but it would drive itself. Won't tell ya how to build it. just wish ya luck.

42 Chevy, you are absolutely right. DUH (smacking myself in the head again) I was thinking of the 34 3 window I built years ago. I went corvair with that one. Thanks. You just made this old dude's life easier.[;)

Latest posts

Back