old ford ign control module help

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

oldskool

all right here is the problem, I have an 1984 f150 that has motor and trans in it that going in my sons `56. The wiring is an abortion gone wrong on the `84truck. All i want to do is start it and mak sure there is no scary noises coming from it before i pull it. Does anyone have a way of "hot wiring" the ign control unit? The truck has no spark and the wires going to the solinoed was jacked up by some clown working at barnem and barley circus. help! I know i need a hot wire from the solenoid but not sure where to go from here

Don't know if these will help or not. I don't have a lot on the Ford wiring.

Attachments

• sizeimage.jpg
    sizeimage.jpg
    26.6 KB · Views: 26
  • 5934_520.gif
    5934_520.gif
    146.5 KB · Views: 20
  • DurasparkII.jpg
    DurasparkII.jpg
    42.7 KB · Views: 24
If that truck has the duraspark II unit I know of no way of hot wiring it. If the box is still there and all the wire are hook up. You can get another box. All you need to do is unbolt the box and check what color the plastic piece were the wire come out. Find another box with the same color and you should be in business. Sniper third diagram is what the the duraspark II look like.

The Duraspark boxes are a square aluminum box.

You should be able to power up the duraspark on the white or red wire going into the module, and of course hot wire to the coil pos. Some 84s might have the TFI ignition with the module on the dist, can't tell you how to power that one up. I assume you know how to short the sol. to make it crank.

Last edited:
put 12v to the pos/bat+ side of the coil. providing no one has cut any thing in relation to this it will start and run. if that dosent work, put 12 volts on the red wire of the module and the coil. easy to hook it up. the 2 wire plug on the module wiring harness is for the power to it . the red wire is run, the white wire is 15degrees retarded timing. for start. the black wire in the 4 wire plug is what grounds the system. through the dist. body. ive got that set up in my 55 fairlane. it was half ass wired when i got it and hard to start because the other person didnt know what they were doing. once you understand how it works its easy. once you get it in the other car. hook the spare stud on the front of the starter solenoid to the white wire on the module.this makes the start circuit work.

I believe that you and sniper answered my question. I was confused as to the white wire and red wire. Now if I can only escape my captures for a little while in the day light I will try this wiring diagram

Latest posts

Back