Old headlights / buckets

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kzoldman

Don't need them just yet but what are the guide lines for looking for old headlight buckets as I cruise the swap meets? Is there a diameter that is better? I am guessing it would be best to find some with trim rings. Are new replacement bulbs / lenses available for them? [S

I would collect old lights if i could afford it.:cool: Yes it helps if they are complete. For headlights the bigger the better for me. Old ones don't have sealed beams but it is simple to adapt them to halogen bulbs. No lenses available that i know of. They would probably have to be replaced with window glass.If what you find use sealed beams then there is no problem.

You got questions about headlights I'm your man. I; at one time had 300 pair in my collection. What were you lookin fer? Most I had were guide lights mostly 682-J & 682-C. Stainless model A lights are plentiful with many after market replacement parts. But is this the look your going for is the question?

It is easiest if you use lights that were designed to use a standard 7 inch bulb. That way you can go to any AutoZone and pick up standard or halogen bulbs that were made for cars like 56 Chevys and bolt them right in place. Some of those will have 6 volt bulbs in them when you find them, but the 12 volt 7 inch ones are a direct interchange.

There were a lot of companies making aftermarket headlights back in the day. The most common ones are Guide, KingBee, Dietz, BLC, and others. People wanted to replace their inefficient lights that came stock on model a's and other cars with the new, brighter ones so lots of companies made lights and conversion kits to fill that need. Also, many cars and trucks came with these aftermarket lights from the factory.

As was mentioned, you need to find a set that have the look you want. Before the rat rod craze most people just ran the traditional bolt on lights from the companies mentioned above, and bought them from places like JC Whitney. But the rat rodders started using uncommonly used ones, and generally, the bigger the better.

If you find a pair of Guide lights that need some parts, OTB carries every part for them, down to the retainers and trim rings. I bought a pair of new trim rings for the Guides on my 27 from OTB, and they were perfect reproductions and high quality. Ebay is also a great source for headlights, and at one time I had 15 sets that I bought at various times. I thought that was a ridiculous number to own, then BIG-JIM posted that he had 300! :eek: He is my new hero. :D

Don

Thanks a lot guys! Very good info. The last project I worked on I ended up with four sets of tail lights for the same car. Trying to control myself on this one. :D I too really like the big lights. I also like the ones that mount on top of a fender that are long and curved a little on the bottom. I would have to make a plate for the bottom to cover the hole but to me they look good and a little different, just didn’t know how hard it would be to find lights to go in them.

Attachments

• b9180a228f4a18edf99d0969e2b008c4.jpg
    b9180a228f4a18edf99d0969e2b008c4.jpg
    20 KB · Views: 12
That light you show is a 1940 Chevy car light. (I have a 40) Parts for those are plentiful as well. A word to the wise; though they may look the same, the lights on a 41-46 Chevy pick-up are directional (meaning there is a right & left) this is not the case with the 40 Chevy car because right & left are interchangeable. The 41-46 truck lights are welded an a slight angle. The only other difference is the top of the light has trim on the top of the car called a spear & the trucks have a signal housing with a light. On 41-46 although the signal housing look the same to the untrained eye they are very different. The 41 is a one year only cast piece while 42-46 are stamped steel so you will pay more for the cast 1941 units. I hope all this helps.

It is easiest if you use lights that were designed to use a standard 7 inch bulb. That way you can go to any AutoZone and pick up standard or halogen bulbs that were made for cars like 56 Chevys and bolt them right in place. Some of those will have 6 volt bulbs in them when you find them, but the 12 volt 7 inch ones are a direct interchange.

There were a lot of companies making aftermarket headlights back in the day. The most common ones are Guide, KingBee, Dietz, BLC, and others. People wanted to replace their inefficient lights that came stock on model a's and other cars with the new, brighter ones so lots of companies made lights and conversion kits to fill that need. Also, many cars and trucks came with these aftermarket lights from the factory.

As was mentioned, you need to find a set that have the look you want. Before the rat rod craze most people just ran the traditional bolt on lights from the companies mentioned above, and bought them from places like JC Whitney. But the rat rodders started using uncommonly used ones, and generally, the bigger the better.

If you find a pair of Guide lights that need some parts, OTB carries every part for them, down to the retainers and trim rings. I bought a pair of new trim rings for the Guides on my 27 from OTB, and they were perfect reproductions and high quality. Ebay is also a great source for headlights, and at one time I had 15 sets that I bought at various times. I thought that was a ridiculous number to own, then BIG-JIM posted that he had 300! :eek: He is my new hero. :D

Don

Who is "OTB " ? any contact info ?

You got questions about headlights I'm your man. I; at one time had 300 pair in my collection. What were you lookin fer? Most I had were guide lights mostly 682-J & 682-C. Stainless model A lights are plentiful with many after market replacement parts. But is this the look your going for is the question?

Not trying to hijack the thread but have you ever seen any of these? I believe they are '60s aftermarket, the lights on top have faceted lens (clear on front, red in the rear).

30_Model_A_111.jpg

30_Model_A_112.jpg

Not trying to hijack the thread but have you ever seen any of these? I believe they are '60s aftermarket, the lights on top have faceted lens (clear on front, red in the rear).

30_Model_A_111.jpg

30_Model_A_112.jpg

Yes those are after market arrow lights. This set it the jeweled version. The jewels would show the signal light in the front to on coming traffic while the red jewel in the back would remind the driver that his signal was still on & that the bulb had not burned out. Just for reference the non-jeweled version are the one's on AG's Milner's coupe the dead giveaway is the screw at the base of the trim ring. Not sure of the years produced but I've seen tons of them with 6V bulbs. That would date them back to the 50's I would think...But I have been known to be wrong once..or was it twice:rolleyes:

Last edited:
Agian I'm not trying to highjack the thread but I just found these on ebay. item # 250752450828

Advertised as 32 ford? The lenses maybe but the buckets don't look correct to me. They look like dodge power wagon mounts. I have some military units that are exactly like these just not chrome. Another thing! There is no hole for the screw at the back of the bucket & there is a screw holding the trim ring in place. The fords used a spring loaded clip that pulled over a fork to hold their trim ring in place. Just an observation.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back