OLD rat rod pictures

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bonehead

Skull Master
We have all seen the pictures from the 60's of cars that would be considered Rat Rods by todays standards. Lets put some pictures here.

Attachments

• 60s rat rod.jpg
    60s rat rod.jpg
    83.2 KB · Views: 158
I had totally forgotten about those Dune Buggies people built out of old cars. Popular Mechanics and lots of other magazines had articles on them and how to build them. I always thought they would be cool to own, but we didn't have a lot of sand dunes in Pennsylvania. :D:D:D

Don

Yea

That top car in your post looks like it has a dually rear end Blue. Did they have full floating rear ends back in the day?

Sorry to butt in , but yes they did. My 57 truck has a full floating rear-end. The rear in my truck is actually a 1 ton axle, 8 lug ,4:56 gears and all.Not sure how far back they started using 'em though.

"Little" 6

The old man got his number by the number of pistons he had. He set the track record with a slant six. He would just blow away the 331 caddy motors. :D

Attachments

• DVC00006.JPG
    DVC00006.JPG
    59.4 KB · Views: 63
After looking around a bit I find much of the RatRod look in old drag racing pictures too.

Attachments

• old rat.jpg
    old rat.jpg
    54 KB · Views: 48
  • old rat2.jpg
    old rat2.jpg
    92.1 KB · Views: 39
  • old rat3.jpg
    old rat3.jpg
    44 KB · Views: 42
  • old rat4.jpg
    old rat4.jpg
    63.4 KB · Views: 57
If you want a few pics from old mags you need to look in the reader rides sections alot of the regular joe cars were very close to todays rat rods. I dont include over blown monster types cartoon builds in my discription in rat rods they are a subject to themselves.

more please more. Rat rodding gave a name to what most us were already doing, whether it be 29 model a or 74 camaro. They had and we have little to hardly any money but still loved that feeling driving something your hands made, man. Working with what you got. An old idea with a new name.

more pics please. I can't get enough...:cool:

these are some cool pics, with all the traditional hoopla going on it's nice to see that alot of "rat-rods" are closer to their roots then some would have us believe. Thats cool.

Latest posts

Back