Old rotten gass

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

52 fordman

Okay i am getting to the point of driving soon and had done the dumb mistake of not dropping the gas tank out and emptying it out. Now here is the problem. It has about 8 or 9 gallons of S#&* that is nasty. I spent an hour or so calling around to find some place to take the old nasty stuff to. But to no end no one will take it or even knows where to. So what am i to do? Burn it maybe -- dump it NOPE NEVER.

The local radiator shop can clean the tank but will not take it until it is empty.

HELP

52 fordman[S[S

Drain it thru a filter and put it in a container [ 5 gal cans] then mix it with your lawn mower gas or even you car. What I'm saying is you can mix it with fresh gas try 5 gals fresh and 1 gal stale and use it in you lawn mower or other carbureted engine. Don't run it your Harley!!..:D

what to do with the old gas

I would put it in 5 gallon buckets with lids and save it for washing parts. You will be supprized how fast it gets used once you remember you have it. ;)

Most communities have Amnesty Days where you can take in old gas, pesticides, etc with no charge and no questions asked. Call your local City Hall and ask how to do it properly.

Don

I agree with mixing it a little at a time and using it. I disagrre to using any gas to wash parts, I've seen a freinds garage and his cars burn to the ground from using gas to wash parts plus rotten gas stinks like heck and you can't get that smell out.
Or you could mix it i with your waste oil and dispose of it the same way.

Mix it and use it. Don't and I stress DON'T use it for cleaning and storing in your garage!!!!!like Willowbilly said, extremely dangerous and stinky!!..CR

Depends how rotten it is.If its reached the jello balls stage you'll have to just use it to start garbage fires. If its just discoloured and stinky, it will run an older engine with lots of stabilizer in it. Filter it before putting it in the tank again, and use it right away. Or as stated, put a gallon or so in a tank of fresh gas and get rid of it like that.
Don't use it in an EFI engine, or anything high compression. It will clog injectors, and it pings like crazy!

leave it at quicky oil change place

I would put it in 5 gallon buckets and leave it at the door of a quick lube place. While they are closed of course.They have recyclers come and pick up everything.

When I was a kid growing up on a farm, we used to pour it on the poison ivy around the place. Killed it every time! I know this isn't an option but thought
I'd mention it.

I would put it in 5 gallon buckets and leave it at the door of a quick lube place. While they are closed of course.They have recyclers come and pick up everything.

The problem with that is the business has to pay to remove every gallon of oil and they are not set up to take gas, just oil. Dumping it off and making it their problem is like dropping off an unwanted pet on someone elses doorstep....it fixes it for you, but creates problems for them.

Don

would someone please tell me why burning its not a good idea?
and its against the law. i cant tell you how many times we get called out to illegal burns and have to explain to people that they just cant burn stuff on their property. makes it really fun when i walk up to the house in full bunker gear with an 1.75" hose fully charged and knock on the door. really gets their attention. i get better faces from doing that then the cops do when they draw a gun on someone.

I like how everyone wants you to dispose of hazardous waste properly but when you call around no one knows where it's supposed to go. I called around ALL day one day trying to figure out where to take some old paint... not one government agency could tell me... so I set it all out to evaporate and sent the dry cans to the dump with the rest of the trash.

Funny though... not one person I talked to could tell me where to properly dispose of hazardous waste.

Latest posts

Back