Old service stations

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yeah, I remember the 60's. Its the 70's that are blurry.

Yeah, and fortunately I have even less recollection of the early 80s. I pick up old car magazines from the mid 70s to the mid 80s and just shake my head at what people thought was cool then. Especially those hideous vans. And the cars Detroit was making then have to be some of the worst ever. 79 to 84 had to be the low point for quality control on American cars.

I don't have to wonder what it was like, I worked at them when I was 14 years old in the early to mid 60s. I even saw gas wars where the price went down to 10 cents a gal. for reg. and you could get 110 octane Sunoco blue for 31 cents a gal. those were the days!

I don't have to wonder what it was like, I worked at them when I was 14 years old in the early to mid 60s. I even saw gas wars where the price went down to 10 cents a gal. for reg. and you could get 110 octane Sunoco blue for 31 cents a gal. those were the days!

dido, Super Shell about $.28 per

Cool pix! I remember the Standard Oil station a couple of blocks from my house where I used to buy gas for the lawnmower. I mowed lawns for 2 bucks a pop. We bitched when the gas went up over 25 cents a gallon. Bought my first vehicle off that lawn mowing money. I was only 15 when that happened and could only drive it with somebody over 16 in the thing. It was a 1942 Ford Army Jeep. Learned all my first mechanics on it. I think I stayed under it more than on it...heheh!

In 1964-65 when I was 6th grade, my dad had a Conoco station and I practically lived there. We did full serve and it was always a treat to pop the hood on a GTO or 409 Chevy. One time I filled a Auburn boat tail speedster. It had been converted to a 413 and the guy was driving it coast to coast.
We also had several air force guys who worked part time and hung out. One of them had a white 61 Chrysler 300 with tan swivel buckets and a speedo that went to 140 IIRC. One time he opened the dumps ad took me for a ride, heaven pure heaven. Another guy had a 64 Malibu with a 283 4 bbl and 3 speed with overdrive. One of the hotter cars around, it seemed was a 57 Belair with a 301, fuelie heads and 2 4s, 4 speed. The 409s were hot but mostly blew up every other race. Oh, then there was a black 63 Galaxy fastback with a 427 2 fours and four speed. It had "Bad News" on the front fender but that guy just showed up once in a while and nobody would race hm.

OK ,,, how did they get the cars on the racks or get them back off ,, and why were they on the racks ??? Its 6 cars high ,, wow Great pictures I remember the sunoco and shell and signal [cl oh yea , and the sohio

I always wanted to work at gas stations as a kid. Never had any thoughts of working at McDonalds or any food place, just wasn't for me. Spent the longest time working at my buddy's dad's Atlantic station that was later re-named Arco. They kept 2 race cars there. 1 was a C-Modified 67 Camaro and the other was a 65 Plymouth Belvidere with a 383 that ran B-Modified..both cars were into the low 10's, a real feat back then!
Here's a question for you young guys, cause us oldsters know the answer. Where is the gas cap on a 56 Chevy?[cl

cleanest windshields

My 4th and 5th year of high school 67-68. I worked at station. Some of the views while cleaning windshields. Like the girl in the MG, precious memories how they linger.

Well I just went basically all the way a Ross the country on rt66. If I had time I could of took thousands of pics. So many "have been" stations along the way.

Latest posts

Back