Old Tin

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hombre

Thought it might be interesting to see some of the old tin around your part of the country.

I have just moved to Alabama and spend a lot of my time driving around and just learning my way around. In that pursuit I see quite a bit of old cars and trucks. have started carring around a camera and snapping a picture now and again. Yesterday I stumbled on this old lot or field or pasture, to tell the truth I have been by there a dozen or so times and never really looked. There were some cars there close to the highway but nothing I was interested in. Yesterday I see this 1950 Olds setting righr next to the road. I only dream of those old 50 olds so I stop step over the fence and into a time machine. The lot or pasture or whatever it is must be at least 60 or so acres. In the front there is some mostly late model stuff, a couple of 1970 or so Chevy pickups and just some junk, but back into this place behind the weeds well there is some real stuff there. Hows about a row of 6 1949 and 1950 Ford convertables all exposed to the weather for who nows how many years. All of the floors gone man what a waste. Around the next corner two 40 Fords both 2 dr sedans. Then up jumps a 1936 Plymouth, dozens of trucks from the 30 and 40's. At least a 100 cars and maybe more. Took just a coupoke of pics as I didn't have my camera and had to go get one of those throw away things. Take a look if I manage to get the pictures posted. And post some of yopur won.

Roland

Oh Yea after checking around some I am told that all of these old cars are for sale.

gds_005__Medium_.jpg

gds_006__Medium_.jpg

gds_007__Medium_.jpg

gds_008__Medium_.jpg

i almost would hate to know how much they would want for some of them... or who know, you may see a video floating around with a flat bed getting ready to haul freshly flattened time machines away.

I'd watch out for pi**ed off land owners in Alabama!! Them boys don't take kindly to trespassin! Not a good idea to go crossin fences unless you've been invited! Nice pics, but not worth getting a load of buckshot in the a**!! Aside from that, I'd love to have both those pickups. Especially that chopped (Ford ??) cab. Thats just too cool!!!

Thunder1

Willbilly and Thunder, Damn I sure hate to get off on the wrong foot here on this site, but after reading both of your posts a question arrises for both of you. Now what in the hell makes either one of you Pilgrims think I went trespassing on this mans land?

Foe the record I did ask and was invited to "Help Myself and take all of the pictures I wanted to". And if anything interested me all were for sale. Now all but one is for sale as the Olds is setting outside my barn on "MY" trailer.

Sorry folks I thought this might be an interesting thread, old Tin across america or something like that. Guess I didn't figure on some folks wanting to find the negative in this thing. They assumed and ever time you do that----- well there is a defination for the word assume.

Roland

The guys here were just watching your back! You said in your post "so I stop step over the fence" makes it sound as if you didn't ask permission but we're glad you did. No need to be sorry. Love the pictures.

You know what "dmw56" I went back and reread that part of my first post and I do see how that could be inferred. I was para-phrasing (sp) when I wrote that and I guess ----------- I assumed ( damn) that the reader would not read more into that than I meant. Bad Hombre, Bad Hombre!!!

Last edited:
One of my favorite things to do is look for old tin. I find lots of vehicles that are really cool but really not the ones I am looking to build. But I look at them like I am looking at cars at a car show.
Many of the owners are nice, most have had tons of people stop and ask about their vehicles, some are downright mean, kind of like people everywhere. I have however met some people who turned into friends, just by stopping to talk about the rusty rides in the weeds.

Bonehead, I know from were you come. I also have met every type of person there is looking at old sheet medal laying in a field. Right outside of Farmersville Texas not 200 ft off of a major highway there sat in an old creek bed two old Fords one was a 1929 coupe and the other a sedan. I stopped and after toeing the dirt and spitting a few times the old guy that owned the property said " Man those old cars have been there for 20 or 30 years, ever since I bought this place, You can have um if you want, be glad to see them go" I was in the Marine Corps and driving across country on transfer orders, only took me half a day to dig um out and store them there in town until I could get back.

I am cursed though, when I see that old Tin laying or setting there i see what they could be---not what they "ARE".

You sound like me, sorry to hear it, good luck with your affliction.

look for a thread called "the greatest rat rod story ever told", it is a good read.

cool pics but does anyone have an idea of what that blue thing is in the background of the firetruck pic? i know vw made something like that but it doesnt resemble it at all. just caught my eye.

hombre.... so what did you end up doing with the cars you dug out of the creek bed?

Latest posts

Back