One for the kids

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Neverdone

He's not done yet...
Back in September my wife picked up an old POS pedal car for me for our anniversary. She knew that eventually I would do something fun with it. The time for this has come.

I decided that I wanted to take it and turn it in to a hot rod stroller. Digging through my piles of crap I pulled out a couple go kart slicks, a few bearing hubs (leftover from the mower build), and an order from radio flyer. A little steel and we are getting somewhere.

I started with this:
IMG_20140908_221615_194_zpspmo2jmw9.jpg

IMG_20140908_221629_823_zpsfiyncpzb.jpg

Cut out the old seat pan. It was torn, bent, mangled, twisted and was no longer needed. Pulled out my trusty old homemade break and bent up a new one slightly different. Marked out the sides to be cut for the knew back wheels to fit and made it happen. It now resembles pretty much a mini steam roller in the back but I like it!
IMG_20141222_151933_088_zps8tjc5i4l.jpg

Did a little more trimming and fitment work for the seat and started burning it in. Started doing a little more filler work to get rid of some of the holes that were in it for old bolt on stuff and started cleaning it up. Next step beat the old wheels off the front (they were rusted on there pretty good) and slid the new front wheels on for a look.

IMG_20141226_135700_454_zpsd0bacq3f.jpg

Next step I need to start straightening the front a bit and build some steering linkage. The end product will have steering on the handle in the back so that when you push it you can steer also.

NICE.[cl
Don't know how it can be OLD though as I had a new one of these when I was a kid.:D
My mom got mad when I took off the rear handrails and ladder hook. I was customizing even back then......:cool:
Torchie. [P [P

"The end product will have steering on the handle in the back so that when you push it you can steer also."
Like with a steering wheel ????

That's what gassers do. Do helmets and racing harnesses come in whipper-snapper sizes? Nice build.
I wonder how many of us have pedal car projects in the wings.
the little whipper snapper will be doing wheelies and tip over...lol...:D

Since I have pushed my fair share of kids around, a steering wheel is not a necessity. Just make the push bar (tail fin) strong enough to lift the front wheels up and point it in the right direction.

Even if you do go with the steering wheel, make the push bar strong enough to lift up the front to hop curbs. If you are adding steering, make sure it is self centering (or lockable). There is nothing worse than continually having to correct the direction.

Here is the wagon I built. The steering radius is so bad that i usually just lift the front and redirect.

attachment.php

attachment.php

I have made some changes to the front Z since this photo but the main thing is to get out and use it on a regular basis.

Attachments

• wagon.jpg
    wagon.jpg
    53.1 KB · Views: 209
  • wagon2.jpg
    wagon2.jpg
    57.2 KB · Views: 206
Kid isn't even born yet & ND's already buildin' a car for him/her! [ddd[ddd[ddd

BoB

But would you expect anything less?

the little whipper snapper will be doing wheelies and tip over...lol...:D

If the kid is anything like me they will have that problem anyway!

Since I have pushed my fair share of kids around, a steering wheel is not a necessity. Just make the push bar (tail fin) strong enough to lift the front wheels up and point it in the right direction.

Even if you do go with the steering wheel, make the push bar strong enough to lift up the front to hop curbs. If you are adding steering, make sure it is self centering (or lockable). There is nothing worse than continually having to correct the direction.

Yeah I plan on it being able to tip back for that ability. Not sure how I would do the self centering thing but really something to look in to.

Those pic's reminded me......

Here is the wagon I built. The steering radius is so bad that i usually just lift the front and redirect.

attachment.php

attachment.php

Auto Rama coming up in March (rat rods and such in the basement) and the Motor city swap meet Jan 10th and 11th....I know...wrong thread.... :D

Flipped this over and made some steering stuff in the front end. Connected that to a rod on the back. Welded a bar from the back axle to stick out the back and gusseted to the bottom of the axle brackets. Took a piece of tube that fits over that and drilled it so the handle can be removed. Welded that to a bar to stick up to push from. Dropped a rod down through the center up the upright for steering, welded a tab to the bottom to connect to my steering. That's as far as I am for now...

IMG_20150106_202601_867_zpsdbazy7yx.jpg

Decided I wanted to take this to the show and use it since there is a kid to ride in it now. Wouldn't ya know it but a car seat sits right in there!?! So she got to use it! Hopefully next year she will fit it a bit better!

Attachments

• DSCN1512.jpg
    DSCN1512.jpg
    170.8 KB · Views: 38

Latest posts

Back