One or Three wire?

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cdk_bfd

Ok I've seen the argument go back and forth for a while (politely by the way, no small feat) but I'm still no closer to an answer. I'm gonna switch out the generator in my 65 122s for an alternator but have no idea which one to use. Anybody have a simple pros vs cons between the two? Does one even exist? I kinda get the feeling it's like a Pepsi vs Coke debate. In that case I vote Mountain Dew.

There is an in depth thread on here that I'll see if I can find that covers this pretty well, but you are right. It usually causes a commotion. I am running a single wire on mine, but it may be the cause of some gremlins. The three wire is really tried and true.

i think what it boils down to is how much wiring ya want to do, easy wiring on the one wire, but if it goes out on ya on the road my be hard to get one,, with the three wire more wiring but you can get one in every part store , off the shelf,, and many years to choose from, and amps too,, i would use one with a regulator built in, instead of a outside oold style, but heres the diagrams for both of them, of coarse none for the one wire is needed

Attachments

• alternator_wire.jpg
    alternator_wire.jpg
    29 KB · Views: 54
  • AlternatorWiringOverview-1963to1972Buick_small.jpg
    AlternatorWiringOverview-1963to1972Buick_small.jpg
    54.5 KB · Views: 62
From what I've gathered the one wire alternators originated on tractors. Very few power accessories. So if you don't have a lot the one wire is OK. If you have a lot and need a lot of amps go with the 3 wire. Wiring up a 3 wire is still very easy and cheaper at the parts store.

See, that's exactly the kind of anwer I was looking for! A simple comparison between the two boiled down to about three sentences. And pictures too! That was more help than you guys know, thanks alot. Now if I can just figure out how to get the eight point eight gigawatts to the flux capasitor we're rockin.

Speedway has an adaptor that you can run a standard GM altenator on one wire. It was cheap and I haven't had any trouble with it. Im sure a smarter guy could probably figure it out but I bought the kit!!

Here is a little different slant. I have worked on hundreds of the older systems and I think the Ford alternator with external regulator is far superior to anything GM ever offered. The alternators almost never fail and even if the regulator does fail you can full field it with a jumper to keep going (not recommended unless you understand what's going on) I have talked to guys who claimed to get along fine with the one wire but I have also seen more of them that wouldn't begin charging unless you revved the engine first.

Also technically, the battery is only to start the car and absorb voltage fluctuation, the alternator needs to carry the system demands for amperage.

I use the one wire on both my cars, and yes, the engine RPMs need to hit a certain point to "energize" the unit. One car's alt charges as soon as it is started, the other one needs reved a little to make it go but I'm fine with that.

Latest posts

Back