other hobbies?

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
As I read the responses to this thread, there seems to be one trait common to us all......striving to be self-sufficient! In spite of how much money any of us have, none of us will ever be poor, because we will go out and make life what we want...Bravo!!!

As I read all the various responses I am tempted to write a long boring diatribe on how to live. Let me just condense all that and say that my whole lifestyle is my hobby.

:D exactly my thoughts.... in the end it all seems to come down to steel, wheels and ladies.... :cool:

next up is building a treadmill for our gladiator dogs (thats what our vet calls em)
and i am going to make a sweet western gunbelt for my trusty .44

Hunting, fishing, Camping, Jeepin, 4 wheelers, Hot rods.
Grand kid spoiling
Guns, Calling and Killing them pesky coyotes!

No wonder I'm always broke!

A good friend of mine is down from Minnesota to attend the Gator Cutlery show in Lakeland next weekend. He has a table at the show in an attempt to sell a few of his creations. He has a few that need finishing and I'm trying to help. So we are hustling to get it done. He has several that were made with Mammoth Ivory and he intends on re-handling some of them but I wish he didn't have to. Somehow, the powers that be recently concluded that Mammoth Ivory is now outlawed for use in such things. I understand abolishing the use of Elephant Ivory to stem the illegal trade in poached ivory but Mammoth and Mastodon ivory comes from animals extinct for about 5,000 years. Stopping trade in such ivory does not deter squat for saving animals. Rant over.
A few pics...
IMG_0041.jpg
IMG_0037.jpg
IMG_0047.jpg
IMG_0048.jpg
IMG_0049.jpg
IMG_0050.jpg
102_1500.JPG

In the last pic, the knife in the middle with stag scales and wide guards was a compilation between me and my buddy Joel. We co-made that one for the Atlanta Blade show a few years back. It's called Big Ears! It was a copy of an original English dirk. I made some of the springs for some of these and that's what we're working on now on the two unfinished ones in one of the pix.

I collect military rifles reload for some, have multiple boats and I even dabble in computers.. but my day job and day to day hobby is automotive stuff

I have a small collection of guns, I love to ride, I'm a big pool floater always loved the sun, the darker the better, needless to say I go to the dermatologist every 3 months now. The biggest thing in my life was weight training and competitive bodybuilding. That's me at a master competition at 52.

Attachments

• BN09NPCGS3.jpg
    BN09NPCGS3.jpg
    58 KB · Views: 0
Distance running, cross country skiing, bicycling, hockey, racquetball and mountain day hiking were my other activities.

I too miss a lot of the guys. The ones that drift away, or, we don't know why they are no longer active here. But what really gets me is the guys that have left the planet.

Couper, I ain't never looked like you all. Now, more like a finely sculpted marshmallow. Although I was down to 128 lbs. during my marathon days.

Distance running, cross country skiing, bicycling, hockey, racquetball and mountain day hiking were my other activities.

I too miss a lot of the guys. The ones that drift away, or, we don't know why they are no longer active here. But what really gets me is the guys that have left the planet.

I've only been here a short time but I feel like you guys are friends and that I've known some of you a long time. It's weird how you can build relationships without even meeting people. It sucks when people leave and worse yet when they pass

Couper, I've not ever looked like you either. My Jr year in high school I wrestled at the 145lbs weight class, that was probably as close to being "fit" as I have ever been. I have pretty much been growing at about 2 1/2lbs a year since then, pretty steady, no big changes at a time.

Don't have many pics of me around here.

This one is 5 gen of my family, me on the left (then 65), then my mon (she is 85 then), the little guy is Wyatt (he is 2 now), my grandson Matt (was 20), and my daughter Carrie (was about 42).

Not been many hobbies outside of the car world for me. My work life started out in auto repair, then went into factory production, then factory maintenance, then into factory heavy machine repair (100 ton forge presses), and then 25 years as a one man welding shop before retirement in 2018. Cars and dirt track racing have always been there.

Attachments

• 100_0720.JPG
    100_0720.JPG
    1.9 MB · Views: 0
A good friend of mine is down from Minnesota to attend the Gator Cutlery show in Lakeland next weekend. He has a table at the show in an attempt to sell a few of his creations. He has a few that need finishing and I'm trying to help. So we are hustling to get it done. He has several that were made with Mammoth Ivory and he intends on re-handling some of them but I wish he didn't have to. Somehow, the powers that be recently concluded that Mammoth Ivory is now outlawed for use in such things. I understand abolishing the use of Elephant Ivory to stem the illegal trade in poached ivory but Mammoth and Mastodon ivory comes from animals extinct for about 5,000 years. Stopping trade in such ivory does not deter squat for saving animals. Rant over.
A few pics...View attachment 180036View attachment 180037View attachment 180038View attachment 180039View attachment 180040View attachment 180041View attachment 180042
In the last pic, the knife in the middle with stag scales and wide guards was a compilation between me and my buddy Joel. We co-made that one for the Atlanta Blade show a few years back. It's called Big Ears! It was a copy of an original English dirk. I made some of the springs for some of these and that's what we're working on now on the two unfinished ones in one of the pix.
Is that you smalls or your buddy?

Couper, I ain't never looked like you all. Now, more like a finely sculpted marshmallow. Although I was down to 128 lbs. during my marathon days.
Good line on the marshmallow! I never did much running even when prepping for a contest... I never needed much cardio and when I did I dropped weight fast

Latest posts

Back