Paint

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rockb1

Built For Speed!
So I have been told to use POR15 to paint my cab. Now my questions are?
Do they make it in a satin Black?
What all do I have to do to the cab before I paint it?
Will this paint over bondo?
Can you paint over it?

Wouldn't Ospho or the like be just as good since you'll need to paint over it any how? POR15 breaks down in UV.

POR should definitely not be applied on bondo, and it doesn't stick to bare metal worth a damn either. It stands for Paint Over Rust, and that is what it is good for. Anything else doesn't work...

See I do have som pretty bad rust spots that I am trying to paint over. I sanded those right down to bare metal and pits now I need to fill those pits. I know I should be cutting these sections out and putting in new metal but I am still without a welder and someone had suggested POR15. Should I fill the pits with bondo for the time being and fix it when I can? or what other options are there?

I would consider putting duct tape over the holes on the outside of the cab. Apply the POR 15 to the inside of the cab. If any of holes are large use a small piece of fiberglass over them and coat the fiberglass completely with POR 15. It's not the best way to fix the holes but it will work. I've done this on the floor on my dad's car and it's held up for several years now.

Keith

what are you working on? and what are you hoping have when your done?
i hear people telling you to fill holes with duck tape and pour rust inverters over it, your gonna spend time and money and land up with a mess!! spend the time and do it right you'll be way happier in the end.

So your saying he won't get professional results with the duct-tape method? :D

I think your going to have a problem with any rust converter over filler. How much of a problem - I don't know. What I'd do if I was going for nothing more than flat black over pits, would be to clean the rust as good as I could with a wire wheel. Then use a rust converter or if there is no visible rust I'd use a etch primer. Then epoxy prime and industrial flat black paint.

Obviously I'm no professional. :)

rockb1

Sam Fear told you right. Put the converter on first. I use an industrial grade rust converter/primer combination called "rust arrestor" made by Insul-X. Sherwin-Williams Paint stores should either have it stock or they can order it for you. $54.00 a gallon but it's well worth it because It goes a long way!! It's really great stuff and is made to take any type of coating you want to use over it. I applied it (hand brushed) onto my entire 51 F1 cab about 6 months ago inside and out, and I'm here to tell ya, the rust is dead and the cab is completely waterproof. There's nothing out there that comes close to this stuff as far as I'm concerned.

Thunder

Awesome! thanks guys. Thats what I was looking for a product that someone has used succesfully. When its time Im going to check it out. Im justlining up all of these things now.

Latest posts

Back