painting question

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

motomech

Mr. Willys
ok so i painted my wheels today and when i was shooting my color it kinda looked like it was shooting spiderwebs on to the wheel and some of them were floating away...it looked like hair or webs on my wheels the paint was a little bit bumpy its hard to describe ive never painted with a gun before
the primer wasnt doing this and neither was the clear coat only the color was doing this:confused:

It has been my experience that spider webbing is caused by one of several things. Too low air pressure(you should have a gauge and regulator at the gun) Paint not thinned enough, or a dirty nozzle. A Thorough cleaning must be done after each use.

I am not a professional but have painted quite a few cars and motorcycles. There may be a pro here that can give you better insight.

hmm i bet it was the low air pressure i think i was running it at like 35 pounds
i diddnt want to go to high

it turned out good at the end(and the clearcoat fumes made my kinda happy)

Attachments

• pic050607_4 (Small).jpg
    pic050607_4 (Small).jpg
    43 KB · Views: 15
  • new wheel (Small).jpg
    new wheel (Small).jpg
    27.2 KB · Views: 20
Last edited:
cycledog just stated the most common causes of your symptoms motomech. It could be any, or a combination of those things. Another cause could be incompatible products being mixed together. The shiny black looks good.

FYI - Inhaling some of todays painting products can be very hazardous.

i used this paint shop stuff it says there is no mixing it is ready to spray right from the can i used the primer color and clear

Attachments

• paintshop1.jpg
    paintshop1.jpg
    12.5 KB · Views: 15
motomech I've seen that paint shop system advertised and wondered if it was as easy as the ads make it sound. Glad to hear someone in the real world has had success with it.

Wheels look good Moto.

If you come across car pics from the late 60's early 70's spider webbing was quite the deal along with lace painting. Also we used to put down a wet coat or two and then cover it with saran wrap, take it off and you get a velvet look. I am sure Gas can come up with some pics of these.

Also we would take a torch and use mostly acetylene and make the paint smokey and then clear over that. I shudder to think of all those hideous paint jobs from that era. At the time they were cool.

hmm i bet it was the low air pressure i think i was running it at like 35 pounds
i diddnt want to go to high

it turned out good at the end(and the clearcoat fumes made my kinda happy)

Any paint, or body work product that is catalized ( has hardener added ) is extremely dangerous. Hardener has an ingredient called isocyanate, or cyanide. Once inhailed it never leaves your body, and continues to build up with more exposure. Primers, paint and body fillers all have this chemical. Even after the products mentioned have dried, they are still dangerous when sanded and made ingestable or inhailed. It can also be absorbed through the skin and particularly through the eyes. The eyes are second only to inhilation as the most effective way to gain exposure to these chemicals. You should at the very least be using a full body paint suit and fresh charcoal filter mask when spraying paint and primer. ( charcoal masks last an average of 8 hours and should be stored in a sealed plastic bag when not in use to prolong there life.)
When sanding body filler, putty, or paint you should always wear a good quality mask to limit exposure by inhilation. Some of the signs of exposer are headaches, nausia, and shaking, because these chemicals affect the nervouse system. I still work in this industry, but I now have to be very careful about my exposure, and have become over sensitized. I cannot paint or prime without using a fresh air system and full body suit. Although I can't say with certainty it is quite likely that my level of exposure will have adverse effects on my life expectancy. So, be careful guys, and take care of yourselves. When those fumes are making you happy it's all fun and games untill the headaches start.

Just my two cents worth.;)

Any paint, or body work product that is catalized ( has hardener added ) is extremely dangerous. Hardener has an ingredient called isocyanate, or cyanide. Once inhailed it never leaves your body, and continues to build up with more exposure. Primers, paint and body fillers all have this chemical. Even after the products mentioned have dried, they are still dangerous when sanded and made ingestable or inhailed. It can also be absorbed through the skin and particularly through the eyes. The eyes are second only to inhilation as the most effective way to gain exposure to these chemicals. You should at the very least be using a full body paint suit and fresh charcoal filter mask when spraying paint and primer. ( charcoal masks last an average of 8 hours and should be stored in a sealed plastic bag when not in use to prolong there life.)
When sanding body filler, putty, or paint you should always wear a good quality mask to limit exposure by inhilation. Some of the signs of exposer are headaches, nausia, and shaking, because these chemicals affect the nervouse system. I still work in this industry, but I now have to be very careful about my exposure, and have become over sensitized. I cannot paint or prime without using a fresh air system and full body suit. Although I can't say with certainty it is quite likely that my level of exposure will have adverse effects on my life expectancy. So, be careful guys, and take care of yourselves. When those fumes are making you happy it's all fun and games untill the headaches start.

Just my two cents worth.;)

yeah tell me about it its sunday night and i still have a little headache next time im really gonna use a mask when i shoot this stuff

Good advice. We homebuilders play around with some very nasty chemicals. You at least need a good respirator because just like catalyzed paints cure on a car, they also cure in your lungs. :eek: Even with all the precautions we are taking, I really haven't felt great since I started painting our car parts 6 months ago. For the first hour I am up every day I sneeze a million times and have to keep blowing my nose. I have evidently inhaled too much dust and paint and it is causing me some respiratory problems. A few weeks ago we sandblasted Don's frame, and when we were done we read the label on the playsand, and it said "do not use for sandblasting." :eek: Memo to self, read labels FIRST.

On the spiderwebbing thing you mentioned, I had that happen one night, it looked like I was shooting that silly string kids play with. I attributed it to the paint not atomizing but rather shooting out and drying in mid air. My hardner was bad and a fresh batch cleared it up.

Don

The safty factor is the main reason I started powder coating the samller parts I would have normally painted.
I have a regular household oven so I am limited size wise. I can get a 15" wheel in but nothing larger. It's easy, clean and alot more safe.

Latest posts

Back