Panhard length question

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DaddyT

Just got a new J-bar panhard bar. I want to mount it to the pinion but I am concerned about the length. I would have to trim it down to a length of approx. 14" eye to eye. Could this shortend length cause any problems down the road?

The shorter the panhard bar is, the more arc (or side to side movement) the rear will have during suspension travel so optimally you would like it to be as long as possible but that's not always an option. It won't really hurt anything unless you have very close tolerances with tires or suspension paarts that may make contact as a result of side movement. I would suggest tacking the Panhard mounts, then removing the rear spring (or coilovers). Move the rear housing up and down through it's travel cycle with a jack and visually check. I have a car with a very narrow chassis (18" inside frame rail measurement) with a short panhard bar. No problems at all.

Gastrick, How is your short panhard mounted? On the passenger side axle tube, the differential housing or off the pinion? My frame is also narrow(24" inside rails). If possible I would like to use the pinion bracket because I already have it.

Does this photo answer your questions DaddyT? This is my Anglia chassis. On my coupe, the panhard is mounted off the pinion but I'm not sure I have a photo.

Bill, whose disc brake setup is that ? I just bought a narrrowed 9 incher for an altered I want to build and am thinking about discs on the back.

Man, that chassis is super looking BTW.

Don

Don,

It's a Ford Racing rear disk kit. Jegs, Summit, and a host of other places carry them. It's a bolt on for a Ford 9" big bearing (new style) housing. They work really well, at least they do for me. As far as using new parts go, it's about the cheapest way to go for rear disks. Not the lightest outfit though.

Gastrick, thanks for sharing the Anglia. Is that a Morrison chassis and suspension? Looks great regardless! By looking at the picture it's more clear to me how the arc travel can affect things. I think I may have enough room to mount the J-bar w/o trimming to much. The J-bar is 26" eye to eye as-is. It seems I can weld a bracket on the passenger side axle tube just beyond the housing weld seam. I guess this would be better than having a shorter bar with a full length 9" rear.

Latest posts

Back