Patina? Love it or hate it?

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sniper said
". I want my cars clean, neat, shiny, dependable and affordable. It's special to me, and not just a daily driver, it deserves nice paint. "

Ally cars are special to me, rusty or painted. They all have there own touch. But patina has no direct effect on reliability. People think cause it doesnt have a shiney paint job its a pos. I wouldnt hesitate to jump in my 50 chevy or my 29 sedan and head off across the states. Not saying thats what you were getting at, but alot of people think that way.

Either way is OK

I go both ways,I like patina and also shiney cars.
Since I am not a good sheet metal worker (everything I touch warps).[S
I usually leave it as is unless a few globs of bondo will get it good enough to paint.:D

I like real deal Patina. We're working on a 1964 Toyota Land Cruiser I found in a barn a few years back. It's about 99% original / all there and the patina is very cool. But we're restoring the interior to as new condition so when you're driving it, it will be like you're in a brand new 64 LC.

Nother nature took 65 years to make my chevy look like it does. My dad and uncle added some bumps and bruises along the way, each one having a story. Why cover it up with some coolie cutter paint job?

I always tell people it took mother nature 69 years to perfect the paint on my '46, I'm not going to screw it up. There's a misconception that because it has surface rust means it's rusty. In fact most of the rust on my truck is inactive, and has been for a long time. You can easily tell just by the colour. And I still CLR it, so it's not neglected. I just prefer it that way over something I have to wash and wax every time I take it out, and worry about rock chips and scratches.

I also think it looks better. Just because a vehicle is unpainted, doesn't mean it's not well built.

I always tell people it took mother nature 69 years to perfect the paint on my '46, I'm not going to screw it up. There's a misconception that because it has surface rust means it's rusty. In fact most of the rust on my truck is inactive, and has been for a long time. You can easily tell just by the colour. And I still CLR it, so it's not neglected. I just prefer it that way over something I have to wash and wax every time I take it out, and worry about rock chips and scratches.

I also think it looks better. Just because a vehicle is unpainted, doesn't mean it's not well built.

Well said!

i prefer shiny paint, but it doesn't have to cost a arm and leg either.

I sprayed my RPU with red metal-flake. Not your $90 an ounce House of Kolor stuff, but some $1 an ounce glitter my daughter had in her crayon box. interesting experiment, but it worked, mixed with normal acrylic clear coat. :D

Looked great when it was done, but I have yet to color sand it or polish. I might not even bother, as I know I'll scratch or dink it as soon as I get it 'just right'. I'm clumsy as hell like that. :eek:

Been on there six months, been out in the burning sun a few times, still looks good.

Attachments

• hot rod.jpg
    hot rod.jpg
    61.6 KB · Views: 20
  • Hot rod red.jpg
    Hot rod red.jpg
    69.4 KB · Views: 23
My take on patina- if it's natural or happenstance i find it interesting
If it''s manufactured- not so much

I don't find artificial patina to be as interesting.
i don't dislike it it's just simplisitic and sometimes stands out as overtly un-natural like you would see with a bad camo job.

I built my ride to please myself so others opinions really do not matter. While I respect anybody else's ideas on how they want theirs, my ideas don't hinge on others thoughts.
I'd rather ride than polish is where I stand. My personal living arraingements and attitude keep me from trying things that will only lead to failure. I'm a realist also. I live about a mile and a half from the nearest paved road across which I have a private right of way. My drive is a 2 rut dirt road. My ride started rough never got smooth, just solid. I was building rat not a shiny show car. Does it make sense to build something shiny, spend hours prior to every ride to put the gleam on a vehicle only to try to get to the road and have dirt slung on every part, scratches from going thru briars and limbs along the way, things slinging off my tires and screwing up those "shiny" efforts before I ever get to the road? No, not in my mind. My start was a severely rusted pile of junk. Everything beneath is done as safely and as solidly as possible within my capabilities. I'd guess that of all the body pieces on my ride is nearly 80+% new sheet metal with my process for patina. It is my own. It was intentionally done to create and match the finish to the original body metal I started with, call it fake patina if you like, it certainly is real rust, it was applied by me, to make the new metal match up with the old metal. Turned out as well as any other efforts I've ever seen and I'm pleased with it because I just don't care if it doesn't shine it was never meant to. I can sit it in, crank her up and go anywhere I want, any time I want, without spending a minutes cleaning time just to enjoy a ride, and still am amazed at every stop, I find a crowd around it everywhere I stop.

Well put Smallfoot. Your process is spot on and I love your results and your ride. Now go drive it before it gets too hot this morning.

All I can say is I'd be honored to sit in your ride any and every day of the week.
I've got a shiny car (65 GTO) and it hardly ever gets uncovered.
I'm always in my 66 C10 or in my 33 Pontiac, hell, my 33 had cow manure on it for a week, till the rain washed it off :rolleyes:
I tell others, my detail kit consists of a push broom and air hose [ddd
Build for yourself not others :cool:

Amen brother....

You're right....seems people are attracted to and more interested in the unusual and not so much the regular run of the mill restoration....which is cool for sure...:D

A lot of things went through my head as I read through this thread. First off, Smallfoot, I don't think anyone would be so short-sighted as to think your intentional rust was a bad idea. I picture fake patina to be more like this: http://s3files.core77.com/blog/images/307494_81_38703_UGWPzgKo7.jpg

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/attachment.php?attachmentid=846753&stc=1&d=1325018138 (Yeah, he did that on purpose.)

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/attachment.php?attachmentid=846187&d=1324905417

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/attachment.php?attachmentid=1094609&d=1366321360

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/originals/6b/26/3c/6b263c007f4f0ca3ffa47e612cb9a01a.jpg

I put those cars in the same category as the ones I've seen with intentionally broken-off wheel studs; just a tad misguided.

As for rusting your own parts, that in itself is a bit of an old fashioned, genuine thing to do. A light rust is a protective coating. For example firearm browning. Not John Browning, but the metal finish.

So what is the purpose of these processes. The purpose is to provide a thin coating on the outside of the iron and steel parts, so that they are protected from rusting and corrosion. The idea is to intentionally rust the outside surface of the part (such as the barrel) and then stop the rusting processes. The outside layer then protects the inside parts from further rusting and corrosion. Additionally, these processes reduce the glare of what would otherwise be a very shiny part.

http://firearmshistory.blogspot.com/2010/08/metal-treatments-browning-and-bluing.html

The process of browning is the older process and has been known for centuries, even before firearms were invented. In Europe, this process was originally called "russetting" and the term "browning" came to be used later. Later on, a modified browning solution and process resulted in a dark blue/black finish, which began to be known as "bluing".

Now, for patina. What is patina?

Full Definition of PATINA
a: a usually green film formed naturally on copper and bronze by long exposure or artificially (as by acids) and often valued aesthetically for its color

b: a surface appearance of something grown beautiful especially with age or use

2: an appearance or aura that is derived from association, habit, or established character

3: a superficial covering or exterior

I'd say each of those definitions follows from the one above it. In cars, it would be definition 1,b: a surface appearance of something grown beautiful especially with age or use.

The old finish on a car is nostalgic. To me, taking a car that has aged well, and stripping it and spraying it, would be the same as taking a war veteran, and tightening all his wrinkles, removing his scars, and removing his sailor tattoos. He's earned those badges. They have meaning. Although, that doesn't mean he shouldn't have access to surgery or prosthetics if he really needs something fixed up.
I like to see the crayon marks on the firewall, and the circles worn around the window cranks. Somebody was in that vehicle, 50, 60, or 80 years ago, driving it to school, or on a date. That paint was applied by someone that was happy to have a job in the late 30s, when he was trying to feed his family. I'm sure he did his best. Who am I to say I can do better?

Danny Trejo did prison time for armed robbery, and drug crimes. He was a boxing champion in every prison he was in, including San Quentin and Folsom. Could you imagine him clean-shaven, short hair, smooth skin, and no tattoos? Of course, he'd look like Martha Stewart. ;)

Now some cars are like Elizabeth Taylor. She may have shown some age, but you still expected her to wear shiny jewelry, and look her best, even in her late seventies.

If you just like what you like, then shine that sucker up, and get the chrome bits rechromed. That takes a lot of work, patience, vision, and dedication to build, buy, or even own something like that.

If it has that appearance of something that has grown beautiful with age or use, that's patina. It doesn't need to be hidden, or fixed.

If you can see through your fender, that's just rust. Maybe that's okay too, but it isn't patina.

To sum up my thoughts, be genuine. You want shiny? Make it shine. Do you wax nostalgic when you see where paint has been wearing off for decades? Leave it, as a memorial.

A final word on the clear-coat-over-rust: Do these people not know that they can get flat/matte finish clear coat?

Yeah, I really have no opinion on the subject...

Patina? Whats the deal with it? Do you love it, or hate it, or somewhere in the middle? Myself, I just don't understand it. When I was growing up, anybody that drove a vehicle that looked like what everybody calls patina nowadays was usually dirt poor and couldn't afford anything else, or an oddball codger with plenty of money but too much of a Scrooge to spend it. Nobody wanted to be like them, everybody I knew wanted a glossy paint job. I guess that's why I can't understand anybody wanting to drive anything that looks like it was just pulled from a junkyard or out of somebodies barn or pasture. I can go with flat paint, primer, or glossy paint. Faded paint and surface rust doesn't do it for me. I want to bring out the sandpaper and maybe even a spray bomb and make it one color. :D

Maybe I'm an odd bird, but I love a good looking rat, just so it's got some kind of paint or primer on it.:eek: Not talking down anybodies ride, I just see some rides and think, man, that would look good black, or red, or yellow.....:D

Just a fun observation on my part. :cool:

No right or wrong answer, what do y'all think?
i have to paint
i have spent WAY too much time and money removing rust to let it go nuts
little known fact
patina is a fancy french word for rust:D
one of my favorites is tractor paint and a roller

i have to paint
i have spent WAY too much time and money removing rust to let it go nuts
little known fact
patina is a fancy french word for rust:D
one of my favorites is tractor paint and a roller

It doesn't "go nuts", though. Rust can be inactive as well.

I appreciate both painted and patina though.

I have some primer on a door and gate but , thats the way I got it . plus I seen a truck painted flat black and I liked the way it looked ... so I may paint mine black (no shinny) rust look is ok but I hate to see rust and thinking well its steadily eating my truck and I,m not doing anything to stop it ... But I do change my mind very often so who knows ,, by the time I get back on my truck I may change my mind again ... [S

Latest posts

Back