Pick and Pull yards

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well I have not been to one for many years, probably before everyone became so "sue happy". There's nothing but 90's and newer cars there now. There were signs there that said they were not responsible for injury. Not that would stop someone from making an injury claim. Another local yard, since closed, required you to sign a release before entering.

Must sign a release and pay 2 bucks admission. All cars have fluids drained and gas tanks removed. No power tools, no jacks. Cars are elevated and sit solidly on stands. They have a gantry engine hoist. Many of the customers would be afraid to make a claim because they would be deported.:D
Very good prices but mostly front drive stuff.

The ones around here charge couple bucks to get in to look around.Cars are off the ground so you can remove parts under them.Mostly late model stuff (80's & newer). Dumb thing is(I Think) is they charge extra for core charge on aluminum wheels,rearends,engines and stuff.

There are 3 in my neck of the woods. 2 bucks must sign release. Can't talk to anyone else looking because I don't speak Russian or Spanish. Mostly 60s to low 90s. Good prices.

Luckily I do autoglass for a living so not only am I allowed in yards but I'm requested to be. Here in my part of Ontario there's not anything worth seeing in yards. One yard that's quite modern and ultra-clean lets customers wander and inspect stuff and pull their own small stuff.

Well I have not been to one for many years, probably before everyone became so "sue happy". There's nothing but 90's and newer cars there now. There were signs there that said they were not responsible for injury. Not that would stop someone from making an injury claim. Another local yard, since closed, required you to sign a release before entering.

2 interesting thoughts to consider;
first you can't just declare what you are and are not responsible for if you are open to the public so a "Not responsible" sign ain't worth flip
Second is, as citizens of the US we have certain rights that we can't just sign away so even if you signed the thing you could possibly still sue them and win. You would think their insurance carriers would know this. The waiver would no doubt help in a lawsuit by proving assumption of the risk. You just can't sign away your rights though, unless you join the military, then you have signed away your rights and become US property but that is a whole different subject.

Well, people sue over all kinds of things. An injury could happen pretty easily without being self inflicted. In pictures I have seen, all the cars are up on barrels.
The reason I am curious is because a guy I know is thinking this town needs a junkyard and has approached me about it.

I know they are all over CA. If they can run them there without getting sued out of existance they can run anywhere. Or like Bob said the customers might be afraid of getting deported.

We have one true Pull-Your-Own, several that let you in the yard, and several that won't. But none of them have much older than 80.

There are a couple around here that are "U pull it" $2 to get in, you sign the release paper, all of the newer stuff is up on blocks, but the "older" section has everything on the ground. Yes I said older area, Two of them have a special section that is for cars and trucks from the 70's on back....there are even some 40's stuff...all hammered pretty hard, but you can still find some good parts. The two also have a special "for sale" area (can't strip anything off the cars in this area), and the one has a couple 50's (50 Chevy, 58 Ford and some other stuff), but for what is there I think the prices are a little steep.

Personally, I'm glad that they are around here...I save a heck of a lot of money on my projects there....as an example....full power leather interior (front and rear seats, console, shifter, wiring harness for the power seats, and a bunch of misc trinkets) for $40.

As far as the legal end of it...I know I have a different out look then a lot of other people, but if I'm a dumb a$$ and hurt myself doing something there (or anywhere for that matter), then I'm a dumb a$$...nobody's fault but my own.

Latest posts

Back