pickin

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Willowbilly3

A *real* tin magnet
Had a fun day picking yesterday, found lots of old cars but the bad thing is they are about 75 miles out. I'm still trying to figure my new camera out, so pictures not up yet. Finds: several 67-68 Chev/GMC pickups, 2 55 Dodge pickups, 53 Merc, 56 Plymouth Suburban wagon, Hacked up 59 Ford 2 door hardtop, 63 F-100 4x4, 62 and 65 Ford F-600, 59(ish) Dodge 2 ton truck. Also found several engines in the shed including a Y block and a Hemi, at least 5 M Farmalls, a small Allis Chalmers. Well, anyway we picked the sheds a bit and I came home with a box of old license plates, an ancient sun tach transmitter and a tach, box of old lights including 30-31 Model A headlights and tailight. A real cool old John Deere sign, southwind heater and a couple other old heaters.
I would like to save the 3 old cars and the 55 Dodge 5 window and maybe the Allis.
And I drove by another place with even more old cars, definately have to go back and check that one out as there was a 37 Ford truck setting in the fence row. Gotta love Montana.

Man you have a lot of fun WB3. The oldest thing I have found while driving around here in South Florida is a 78 Old Cutlass.

That sounds great, I would love to scrounge thru a place like that,but unfortunatly I dont see much of that up here.I am always looking and hoping everytime I am out driving tho.

Most of the stuff close in has been picked years ago. That's why I end up going 50-100 miles out to remote ranches to find stuff. Even then the really good stuff is long gone. The non-resident deer hunters from Minn. and Wisc. sifted all the coupes and roadsters 30-years ago.

Wow it must have been a hemi weekend. I found one with trans in a shed and also found a complete Nailhead. Lots of people go thru where the nailhead is and never knew it was there. And when I say complete I mean complete. Fan to flywheel and carb to oil pan. Still has generator, plug wires and all. Has never been stripped of anything. But it will not turn over. Maybe just from sitting.
Dont know what cubes the nailhead is and the hemi is 354 I believe but it does have chrome valve covers.

Nice finds Outlawracer. What are the numbers stamped (not cast) in the top center of the hemi block just in front of the valley pan. I can tell you what it is and what it came out of if you give provide those numbers. The chome valve covers sound interesting since that isn't factory on anything.

I just hate finding treasures like those you guys mentioned..(though it rarely happens here)

the reason i hate it is b/c when i find a cool old car like that it is usually #1 not for sale..:(..or #2 i have no funds...:(

sounds like cool stuff though, and i'm looking forward to more pictures to drool over...[cl[P

This gal had advertised the old cars on C-list but being so far out, nobody responded. If I see a place I want to pick, I usually find out whose place it is and contavt them. I also ask around to area ranchers if they have any old cars laying around and sometimes they invite me to take what I want or will sell stuff.
Nailhead is a tern used for Buick V8s made from about 1953 to 1965. So named because the valves are small I guess. They have a distinctive look because the valve covers are pointed straight up. The were made in many sizes from 300 to 425. There is some confusion about that though because Buick put the torque rating on the aircleaner, not the displacement. Hence a 425 was called a 445 by Buick and a lot of people will argue that they have a 445 or whatever.

Latest posts

Back