Pics of the '54 International R-110 I'm inheriting

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Andrew

Well, my uncle just simply doesn't have the time and/or will power to do anything with this truck, so he's just giving it to me! sweet deal!
He has all of the papers and title and all. It's originally from Washington, but I'm impressed at the overall good condition and lack or rust!

This is my first 'classic' project on my own. Me and my dad are almost done (bondo/paint/interior and she's done) rebuilding a '70 el camino. but this will be all me. my pocketbook, my ideas, my fabrication, and my hard work.

So here's he plan (tentatively):
I want to get it on the road asap with just replacing the the basics.
The ol' straight 6 hasn't run in over a decade and parts are seemingly hard to find for it...
I've got a 350ci laying around that needs a rebuild, so thats probably going to power it. coupled with a th350 probably. cheap/easy.

For the fun stuff after it's road worthy I want to fab in some airbags all the way around, and get this baby sitting low.
Also I'll probably plan on chopping down the top a few (around 4) inches for a more aggressive and cool look.

I definitely and humbly need a lil direction in the parts department. I've heard these Int'ls are kinda hard to source replacement parts for and are obviously not interchangeable with Chevy's and fords; but that Napa seems to carry some stuff...? I don't know where I'd find things like suspension/steering components, control arms (aftermarket A-armsfor bags, or do they need to be custom done... etc)

And if you guys know of any builds with other internationals I'm anxious to peruse them and get further ideas! I know there's one fellow on here with a BEA-utiful white bagged Int'l... that's been kind of my inspiration for it...

blah blah blah. enough talking! let me know what you guys think of it!

Attachments

• IMAG0135.jpg
    IMAG0135.jpg
    160.5 KB · Views: 146
  • IMAG0138.jpg
    IMAG0138.jpg
    71.4 KB · Views: 61
  • IMAG0141.jpg
    IMAG0141.jpg
    67.6 KB · Views: 88
  • IMAG0142.jpg
    IMAG0142.jpg
    171.2 KB · Views: 76
  • IMAG0143.jpg
    IMAG0143.jpg
    132.5 KB · Views: 83
Nice start. Since you are contemplating airbags and a small block Chevy engine, you might also consider front clipping the truck with a Camaro front frame stub. They are relatively cheap, replacement parts are readily available, and the ride height you desire would be easily attainable.

i think the current advice is on the right track.....i personally like the look of the old binders, but w/parts availability like it is, and drivability being factored in, the cheapest and simplest way to fix it up would be w/ a front stub or whole frame swap.....just my 2cents

cool project-keep us posted

Nice truck!

Andrew,
Free trucks are always good. Great start you got there, ought to be lots of fun!

ISore

Thanks for the insight fellas!

I don't have any experience with frames yet, but I reckon there's only one way to learn. :)
The main concern that jump to mind is getting the steering components working together. IIRC the gearbox is forward of the front axle and I don't know about the Camaro front end and how it's setup.

It might be better for me to readjust my plans and maybe just run some lowering springs instead of trying to bag it. That being said... I don't have a clue what springs to use... haha! Got a lot of researching to do...

Thanks again, Gentlemen. I'll have more pictures in the near future when I pick up the truck and get started!!

What a beauty. I love seeing them all together. I got mine just as a cab with doors. Its been a frame up build, lots of work and lots of fun. As far as the steering box goes you can aleays change that out to whatever works for you. It would be best in the long run to change out to a camero sub frame. You will be way happier in the long run. Even if you get the parts and have someone else weld it up for you you will love it. Notch the rear frame and run bags all the way around. It will cost you a little but it will be sweet as heck when its done. Good luck on th build and keep us informed!

R 110

Thats going to be one cool truck! And the price is great. cant beat it, and with a title too thats the hard part.

keep your head up and CHARGE.

52 fordman

Hmmm...

Nice truck! Glad you got the "friendly" price!:D

You might want to check out some of the "resto" sites out there, those guys will have the parts knowledge you need-and while they usually DON'T like hotrods, many times they WILL slightly modify their stockers to make better drivers out of 'em. Simple driveability mods to get it moving now would be better than cutting it to pieces, burying yourself and losing interest...

Try this link:
www.oldihc.org

Hope this helps. Best of luck!:D

Regards,
Shea:)

Thanks very much for all the kind words, friends!
And thanks for the link there, Shea! thats the idea- get it going ASAP. then upgrade as i go.

I should be picking up the truck in the next week or two (its out of town) so ill have updates very soon!

-Andrew

Got it today! woohoooo!!

Only damage to the truck is this dent on the right fender and another (smaller) dent on the left fender in just about the mirrored spot. remarkable!

Underside looks GREAT! No rust other than surface stuff anywhere on this truck!

I'm talking to the guys on OldIHC.org. Lots of great info over there, so I'm digging into their old threads and learning quickly about these trucks.
You can follow my thread HERE.

My current tentative plan:
-Keep original frame. beef up structure points.
-Convert to 12v
-Rebuild/Refurbish front end (bearings, brakes, suspension, steering.)
-Airbag it (eventually. If I rebuild suspension, it'll be on the cheap to make it worthwhile until I can afford the money/time of installing the bags.)
-Swap out tired old I6 for new(er) Inline 6 rice burner (I'm thinking the 2JZGTE [twin turbo toyota Supra motor, Auto])
-Swap out rear end with a 3:73 Ford 8.8 out of an explorer. Thoughts? The reason for picking this is because it provides the near-60" (59 1/2 to be exact) WMS to WMS which is original. Don't want it sitting goofy.
-Paint it white & black. Again, this is my inspiration/motivation for this truck:

BEA-utiful. Would the proud owner please stand up?

Last step:
-Drive an enjoy.

glad ya got it home there andrew.....
now get off the computer and get to work!!:D;)
just messin w/ya....looks really good for a freebie!!!:cool:

Thanks guys! I'm dying to get started on it. Went on NAPA's site last night and wrote down some part #'s for the few things they had that I can use.
-Shocks and brake hoses.
It's a start! :) I can't wait to mess with it this weekend!

Got some work done on it yesterday fellas!
started stripping it of some 'un-necessities' that would need replacing for starting this motor up anyway (I'm probably gonna at least TRY it. it's a 6vlt system though so parts are scarce.) RockAuto parts seems to have the most replacement/OEM quality parts out there. So we'll see if I can get this ol' girl runnin!

IMAG0240.jpg

Cleaned up the cab. The floor in this thing is SOLID.
IMAG0226.jpg

pulled the trans cover and the clutch is actuating like it should and so are the gears. maybe theres hope for this thing yet??
IMAG0228.jpg

Gauges look sharp! hope they work :D
IMAG0230.jpg

Latest posts

Back