Pieces and Parts for a "Farm Rat" Eh?

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

~Rooster~

Hey Guys,

In my "intro" thread, I shared my ideas on a future Rat Rod build. It still is, and will remain to be in the "idea" stage for quite some time.

So, instead of a "build thread", I am starting a "Pieces and Parts" thread where I will be updating the unique items that I will try to use in my build.

My focus has moved towards building a Farm Rat which will have some agricultural parts and influence. I have started with a rusted wheelbarrow, which I hope to use as a grill frame/ shroud by cutting out the bottom and welding in a herring bone style grill bars made from old calf pen gates.

Other ideas include a steering wheel from a Farmall M, a shifter made from a a steel hame from a draft horse harness, antique harness hooks for headlight brackets, tractor lights, milk can for fuel tank, and the list of possiblities keeps growing.

We'll call it "Farmer Built".

Thanks for letting me share.

Rooster

Here's something for you or anyone else. The fan shroud is an alumunum bushel basket rim, with pieces of a framing square for brackets.

Attachments

• 001.jpg
    001.jpg
    98 KB · Views: 100
Sounds cool, if you can pull it off without going over the top..less is more..I used several pieces off of an old Gleaner E combine on my truck but you can't really tell it..
post pics when you get going..

Tim

No "Fluff" Rule!!

Oh, I want to be clear...

I'm not into "fluff"! Everything I use will have a specific automotive purpose. From a distance you won't be able to tell what I used. Only by close inspection, and the occasional question from an on-looker will the truth be known.

And my definition of "Farmer Built" is:

Use What You Got!!!...And make it work.

Rooster

Oh, I want to be clear...

I'm not into "fluff"! Everything I use will have a specific automotive purpose. From a distance you won't be able to tell what I used. Only by close inspection, and the occasional question from an on-looker will the truth be known.

And my definition of "Farmer Built" is:

Use What You Got!!!...And make it work.

Rooster

Just don't use "farmer engineering", as in "if what I need is 1/4" steel, 1/2" will be twice as good".

Blue

Just don't use "farmer engineering", as in "if what I need is 1/4" steel, 1/2" will be twice as good".

Blue

Good Point!

I definitely want to be smart about how it's built...sort of why I have been reading all of these different threads. I am even trying to develop a mechanical adjustable lift system within the frame and suspension. So that I can have a cruise frame height, lifted when I go off road, and let the frame sit on the ground when I am parked.

Does anyone use the Google drawing program called Sketchup? That is what I am using to design the frame and suspension system.

And yes I know...pics,pics,pics!

Thanks,

Rooster

Ingenious use of parts for something they were not originally intended--cool

Hanging pointless junk all over your rod for a "theme"---uncool.

Hey, I appreciate you guys "steering" me in the right direction. I am a new fan of Rat Rods and the custom culture, but are there some unwritten rules or stories of bad examples that you all could share with me and anyone else who might be following this thread?...or other things that I should stay away from?...When does a build not qualify as a Rat? I don't want to be "that guy" at a "local cruise night" who didn't get the "Memo", and brought a "want-to-be" Rat Rod.

Thanks,

Rooster

Everyone has their own ideas. I'm a little more conservative and don't much go for a lot of goofy pointless crap, but one or two items just for no reason are ok, like mascot sort of items. I also don't really care for extremes. Just because someone has a 150 inch wheelbase doesn't mean 160 would be cooler. Study a lot of cars. Notice things like stance, balance, wheelbase, tire size and placement in relation to the engine, body ect. I guess my best advice is to stay away from fads and be more conservative and you will have a car that never goes out of fashion.

I am with Willowbilly. My idea is unrestored sheet metal, restored suspension and power train with a few modern upgrades. I really am fond of lettering on doors if it is original in idea or patina, the Speed Shop logos are getting tired.

Pics of Parts

Hey,

I took pictures of some parts and a design drawing of my grill idea.

Wheelbarrow...Grill and fan shroud (I have it propped up against my wife's Saturn)
Harness Hame...Shifter
Milk can...Fuel tank

Next I will be looking for a tractor steering wheel and a tractor drawbar so that I can tow a small Rat camper/trailer.

Rooster

Attachments

• IMG_0612.jpg
    IMG_0612.jpg
    100.7 KB · Views: 24
  • IMG_0617.jpg
    IMG_0617.jpg
    78.7 KB · Views: 24
  • IMG_0619.jpg
    IMG_0619.jpg
    100.1 KB · Views: 19
  • Rat Rod grill 2D.jpg
    Rat Rod grill 2D.jpg
    54.9 KB · Views: 24
Last edited:
There was a build on here a few years back that was using a chain binder as a manual lift. I don't remember it ever getting finished.

I vote no on the wheelbarrow grill shell. The hame will look great. The milk can will be cool IF you can get it safe.

Latest posts

Back