Pinstriping - How to get started?

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Johnson

Hey all. To take a break from my hair-brained schemes, I thought I would drop in and discuss one of my girlfriend`s schemes....

She is very artsy(while I am more mechanical usually). We were looking at some pictures of rods on here, and around the internet. She, being artsy, picked up on the pinstripes some rods have. So, after we discussed it, and did some research, she decided she wanted to give it a go.

My question(s?) is, what is the best way to get started? I have zero experience, so I can`t help her. I know only the basics of the art, so I figured that I would get her some brushes and maybe a book, and let her go at it. Anybody got a better idea? Or even some beginners pointers?

Thanks guys,
Jake :cool:

A few years ago, I wanted to get started and got a lot of good info from the HAMB. There are some videos you can get. The general consensus seems to be a 00 Mac is a good starter brush but most old timers have a favorite way of trimming up their brushes. One Shot paint is supposed to be the best but kinda pricey. I know guys who just use the hardware store stuff. Then you need oil for the brushes when you store them ect.
Then you get a sheet of glass to practice on and start pulling lines, wipe it off and start over. Practice practice practice.

Get a couple of good brushes and some water soluble paints to practice with. Old computer side panels make good canvases to learn on, as do toolboxes and shop refrigerators, anything fairly flat metal and cheap!
Lots of magazines available that start with the basics and go way on up. Just don't start on Grandpa's Lincoln!

Hey all. To take a break from my hair-brained schemes, I thought I would drop in and discuss one of my girlfriend`s schemes....

She is very artsy(while I am more mechanical usually). We were looking at some pictures of rods on here, and around the internet. She, being artsy, picked up on the pinstripes some rods have. So, after we discussed it, and did some research, she decided she wanted to give it a go.

My question(s?) is, what is the best way to get started? I have zero experience, so I can`t help her. I know only the basics of the art, so I figured that I would get her some brushes and maybe a book, and let her go at it. Anybody got a better idea? Or even some beginners pointers?

Thanks guys,
Jake :cool:

Here's how I've been starting... (and I still suck at it!) I bought a Mac brush and some One Shot paints off e-bay and have been practicing on some storm window sashes I removed when we replaced or windows. The nice thing about using glass to practice on is that if you mess it up, wait till it dries and scrape it off with a razor blade. Also, the advantage to glass is that you can tape a piece of graph paper to the back side and use it to make sure you are staying even side to side. Graph paper that has bolder lines for 1" is better to keep everything aligned.

There are a BUNCH of YouTube videos demonstrating how to pinstripe. They all have some different approaches, but just about all use One Shot.

I used to hang out with welders and they all had tricks to keep their hands steady when welding. You'll come up with your own tricks when pinstriping. Most will throw their pinky out almost like drinking a cup of tea and use it to maintain a body line or the edge of the object.

I've found I'm better off with straight lines than circles and sharp curves.

Good luck and PRACTICE PRACTICE PRACTICE.....

One of the first things I did with my brush and paint was a tip jar that I made for a car show fundraiser for my church. It came out OK, but I'd have loved to have had more time to fix it better (or do it over!)

tip%20sign.jpg

pay attention to the angle of the brush and how you hold it. It helps control the thickness/thinness of the lines, similar to a calligraphy pen. Other than than, pretty much what everyone else has said...practice on cheap, flat things first, get used to how the paint flows from brush to surface.

Yes,Practice is the key. Im planning to strip my ride when summer comes. I have been practiceing on flat metal first.All I can say is go for it and if you screw up, just wipe it off and try aging.[P[P

Striping is a art form all in its own.some people pick it up right off some never do but as everyone else has said practice is important Mac brushes are what I still use one shot is the best paint and thinner but I have also used rustoluim its much cheaper I hope the best for your girlfriend pinstriping is a dyeing art witch is a shame because I think its beautiful remember nothing beats a try but a failure meaning if you don't try you will never know its a moto I've always tryed to live by and pass along good luck psycho sean[ddd

beugler tool ?

about 30 or so years ago I bought a beugler striping tool set. they are the roller type.
A minature version of what was used in the factories to lay the paint stripes on 65 and later mustangs. an aluminum guide fixture was stuck on to the car side with suction cups, the the tool was rolled down the side. the last 2 feet of the guide had a fliper handle to flex the bar up . the second tool then was used to lay down the other stripe and the stripes would come to a point at the end. I played with mine for a while then lent it to my nephew to strip surf boards and wake boards he was building, I got it back a couple years ago. It includes a magnetic plastic strip you can stick to a body for your guide . the roller is harder to vary the width of the stripe like you can do with a brush. It has interchangeable rollers for making the basic stripe wider.

Wizard had a video was something to the affect of 10000 stripe boot camp.

Look up the Kafka brushes seem to work better than the Mac's

Lungs

I had one of those roller machines years ago. It worked, but it was sorta like training wheels on a Harley.......not much for the image, y'know?

All have made good points to follow. I used to pistripe some years ago and got away from it when the Pros started stripping. It's something you can learn but you need some artistic ability also. Find some designs and copy them on a paper. Get a piece of plexiglass like someone mentioned and tape design on back side. Practice stripping that design. You will want a slow retarder to learn to make the paint flow and you r brush not drag. You'll also have to learn how to "Load" the brush.I used atf fluid to oil my brush. I think scaryvoodoo girl is a striper. She would be a good one to pick her brain. Mostly it's desire and practice. I lost the desire and need to get it back. There are a few books out on the art of pinstriping also. Try amazon. Practice! She can do it. TP

One tip I found that works good is to put a bandaid (cloth type) on your pinky or the side of your hand to make it easier to slide when pulling a line.
practice, practice, practice.........

weld on.........[;) errr...stripe on.......;)

Latest posts

Back