Plexiglass windows

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rockb1

Built For Speed!
I am thinking of using plexiglass for the rear two windows in my cab. Now my questions are?
How thick should it be?
What do I use for weather stripping?
What would be a good way of gluing these things in?

thanks
Brett

windows

lexan would be better but since its a back window thats not going up or down or facing oncoming objects plexi will work. just keep in mind it scratches easy.

i used it in the crush for the back window and inside when you open the door so my air ride is visable.

1/4 is the same thickness as the old glass was in your truck and i also have a roll of the rubber that goes round it if ya want some. (its cut to fit, seam it with a little permatex)

http://www.estreetplastics.com/

check out this website i order all my plexi from him for everything including out shop signs. dp1

Not trying to hijack the thread, but whats the deal with lexan? Im torn between safety glass and lexan for my windshield. If i use the safety glass it has to be 2 pieces, but i can get it in a couple diferent color tints. If i use the lexan i can have it bent and made to be one piece.

Thing is.... i've had so many people say lexan scratches easy and hazes over. Is this true? Or are they thinking that lexan is the same as plexi? What do you guys use?

Not trying to hijack the thread, but whats the deal with lexan? Im torn between safety glass and lexan for my windshield. If i use the safety glass it has to be 2 pieces, but i can get it in a couple diferent color tints. If i use the lexan i can have it bent and made to be one piece.

Thing is.... i've had so many people say lexan scratches easy and hazes over. Is this true? Or are they thinking that lexan is the same as plexi? What do you guys use?

I was wondering the same thing myself so I ask my husband (knows of lexan through racing background)
He says lexan is just a type of plexi and will scratch and haze but it's more shatter resistant than plexi. He recommends going for the glass unless you're just looking for a temporary solution.
HTH :)

Lexan is some tough stuff. My stepdad had it as a guard on one of the machines in his shop. As a child we used to hit that stuff as hard as we could with hammers just to watch it flex. I never did break the stuff. It was scratched up but I dont remember any hazing. Plexi will shatter on impact making it less safe. I am planning on running it in the rear so Im not as worried about it.

Lexan is a polycarbonate, while Plexiglas is an acrylic. Some RTV silicon will cause the plastic to crack and craze where it's in contact with the plastic, sunlight will speed up the process. If you use the proper sealer that is used for plastic styrene tubsurrounds, you will be safe. Check out www.theplasticstore.com seems to be a wealth of info there. Sniper

Lexan also will yellow over time. I would not use it for a windshield. If you were ever in a wreck and it cracked in alot of pieces. You would be in some bad shape as far as being stabbed to death by it.

go ahead and use glass, not that much more bucks than 1/4" plexi and it wont scratch. I used plex on my side windows just because I could cut it myself and save a trip to the glass shop

i just need it for the rear windows. I have all the glass in the doors and front. ill most likely replace it over time. I was thinking of doing the colored plexi thing just to make the cab look cool

Lexan also will yellow over time. I would not use it for a windshield. If you were ever in a wreck and it cracked in alot of pieces. You would be in some bad shape as far as being stabbed to death by it.

I second that thought. Again, I'm an autoglass installer. No plexi or lexan anywhere on a vehicle.

Lexan MR5 is more resistant to scratches and you can buy a polish for small scratches when that happens. I have used lexan for years in a latemodel asphalt tinted and when you see a tire coming at you and it doesnt go thru. There are no steel braces just alum for wind resistance. Not saying glass isnt good but dont shy away from lexan if you can afford it.

Latest posts

Back