Poor road conditions

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Neverdone

He's not done yet...
This is just a little proof that it is not always you that you need to be worried about in poor road conditions. I was headed to work yesterday coming down the freeway. Traffic was backing up because of an accident farther down the road. The guy in the dodge apparently didn't notice that everyone was slowing down. He went off the road on the right side and then came back on the road. When he came back on the road he hit the back corner of my car spun 180 degrees and the front of my car hit the back quarter of his truck. then we both slid down in to the median. I would just like to say also............. JUST BECAUSE YOU HAVE FOUR WHEEL DRIVE DOES NOT MEAN YOU CAN GO WHERE EVER YOU WANT AS FAST AS YOU WANT!!! Four wheel drive does not do anything for you on ice. Sure you can go but you can NOT stop!!! I too have a four wheel drive truck, but it is almost never in four wheel drive. This ***** was one of those idiots and now I am out my favorite car. But thank god at least we all walked away, I am fine as well as the 5 people that were in the truck. Everyone (that deals with snow and ice anyhow) please in the winter give yourself a little more time to get where you are going and for god sake slow down.

IMG_20140116_124708_630_zps4bf7ab47.jpg

R.I.P. Frank

I'm sorry for your damages and loss but I'm happy to hear nobody was hurt... or killed. :mad:

You're absolutely right about fools and their 4x4's. I see the same nonsense on a regular basis. For example: Last week on a busy local bypass, there were numerous truck/trailers and passenger vehicles in the median/ditch. Some hero in a pickup blew past me, the obvious signs and the attending authorities. (Seriously?)

To quote Steve Earle, "It can get you into trouble but it can't get you out."

Defensive driving is the rule. (And people wonder why we can't carry. :D)

Ouch! Glad you're OK.
90% of the people who drive 4 wheel drive vehicles think they're
good to drive faster on bad roads. They seem to forget they still
have to be able to stop that rolling mass.
You should have cut his tires for him to protect the other drivers
on the road.

You should have cut his tires for him to protect the other drivers
on the road.

He had a CCW so he probably would have shot me because he felt "threatened". I heard him tell the cop that he had his CCW and was carrying so I am glad I didn't say anything to him. Worst thing is once they pulled my car out he drove out of the ditch beat his bumper a bit then drove away, but not until after the cop gave him a few tickets.

At least you didn't get into the cable barriers too. 4x4 Fools! Every time there are bad conditions here, our semi drivers will tell you 80% of the vehicles in the ditches are 4x4's and SUV's. It's a good bet if the semi's are slowing down, you should too - black ice doesn't give you any warning.

That's the thing with the new vehicles and all the traction control stuff, you lose the feel for the road. Hop in a old rear wheel drive 70's car and you know when you're slipping - it incrementally gets worse with speed. New cars, you don't feel it until you suddenly break loose and you're screwed.

Glad you didn't get hurt Neverdone! (Or go to jail.)

Glad you are all ok, and sorry your car got hit so hard. People in pickups and huge SUV's feel they are bulletproof. Just last night, coming from work, I had some big pickup lock up his tires behind me when traffic suddenly stopped. I thought for sure he was going to redesign my rear bumper.

Don

That sucks! Good that youre ok.
Everything you said in that post is absolutely true and Ive stated those facts many times to people at work or friends.

Glad you weren't hurt. I live near a ski resort, we get these kind of accidents all the time and it's usually a 4x4 truck, SUV or an all wheel drive. Typically the AWD's are Subby's. Usually skiers or snow boarders in a hurry to get to the skiing or in a hurry to get home. They put studded tires on and think they are immune to the conditions driving over the speed limit and like they are driving a video game.

Poor Frank...... Full name was Frank Furter. He was a good car, used to plug along really well through about anything. Pulled a trailer every now and again. Got me to my four wheeling trip last year pulling the quad. Was just a good old dude.

Wow, that sucks. Sorry for your loss.
I have a full size F150 lifted a bit and can relate to the "bullet-proof" feeling when I'm driving it. Way too east to get into trouble if you don't keep your wits about you, even here in FL.
Now, all you people just need to get out of my way or I'll drive over you.

Wow, that sucks. Sorry for your loss.
I have a full size F150 lifted a bit and can relate to the "bullet-proof" feeling when I'm driving it. Way too east to get into trouble if you don't keep your wits about you, even here in FL.
Now, all you people just need to get out of my way or I'll drive over you.

I was in my wife's car and pulled up to my ram 3500
I found myself eye to eye with the truck's lug nuts.

Dang that blows! I guess the car is totalled, but I assume it still runs?

We don't get snow 'round here but I we sure have our share of pickup-driving idiots.

The thing I run into nearly every day is some a-hole in a pickup tailgating me at 80mph. He's got flowmasters and a V-8, so obviously his truck is a super-high performance machine and he's out to prove it!

Yup, you always have to drive for everyone else out there, only more so when it's icey. When I lived in Anchorage, the first cars you see in the ditch were always jacked up 4x4s with out of state plates. Southern boys in the service who thought 4wd made them invincible.

The insurance company is going to pick it up and take it to have it inspected though I am sure it is pointless. He was 14 years old so I am sure there is no way they will fix him. But maybe I will buy him back and pull his motor for a donor for a side project??? I think it would be a pretty sweet set up for a Karmann Ghia..... Not sure why. But if it is cheap enough I might buy him back and strip him. Never know what a little 4 cylinder turbo diesel 5spd might be good for.

Latest posts

Back