PORTnPOLISH's 62 f100 low bucker

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PORTnPOLISH

Well I made a choice and went for it. I picked up the 62 f100 unibody shortbed.
Its pretty solid,more so then I though, it needs floor pans and the steps in the cab as far as rusty rot go's. And the passenger side just fine but the drivers side needs the fender pounded out or ill buy a new one, then a patch welded in on the bed side where it was filled at one time and is cracking now. The frame is solid and the supports under the cab need to be repaired.
As far as plans go I plan to use the existing 3 on the tree and y block in her since I found. A not book showing the engine,transmission,wheel bearing,brake lines,brake shoes,u joints,and a bunch of stuff was replaced with new in 99. Then the engine was rebuilt in 2010 and has sat almost the whole time since.
I plan to go spring under axle foor a cheap lowering solution. Then the satin black paint and who knows what else ill stew up in my mind by then.

Here's the good side..
896c8e53.jpg

Sweet! Welcome to the world of Slicks. A uni even. Floors, front cab supports, rear cab corners, radiator support, and front fenders right infront of the doors - that's where they rust the worst. The 292 Y-block has an awesome sounding La-lop. What's the trans? Auto or stick?

Its a 3 on the tree :) . She is a beast for sure!!!!
Yeah I'm gonna have welding in body panels for sure but she's mine all mine now.

Hey thanks for the comment! I'm in love with the uni body style now.
Yeah I just found a gasser style f100... hmm gasser style rat?!?! Idk I'm just gonna start tearing her down and repairing body parrts until I decide what direction to go, bags are out of the question because. Don't want IFS and don't want to cut the frame up so ill let the ideas brew on.

Man i wish i would have never gotten rid of my 61, but hey i was 18 when i sold it, so i wasnt the smartest, lol. 223 with the 3 on the tree.

And yes, Uni's get into your blood stream and then you never get over them. Just so unique. [dr

I was planning on slamming it and going padina but the fact I'm going to have to weld in some panels puts a snag in the padina and the fact the these thing need a lot of work to get the front down puts a damper there. I'm not really wanting to go ifs and don't want hack up a uni f100 frame, I'm gonna see how low I can go before I run out of room and maybe a bumpstop system on the frame would be easiest.
Ill have the picture up of all the side and extra parts that came with here later on so stay posted.

Nice truck,I also like those. Gasser style would be different,havnt seen one but like you said ,do all the repair work and see where things go by then. I have been changing my mind quite a bit on my Tudor since I started working on it.You always keep looking at stuff and thinking and find something cool .

Yeah that's the plan. I just gotta pick a direction and stay that way until its done or ill end up with a mis matched pile of eras. I like the f100 sam fear, pretty neat.

congrats on the unibody--looks pretty good for a project starting point.......

i think when you start to work on it the truck will lead you in the direction it wants to go....

my 46 (in my mind) was to be a really slick, shiney painted street rod with all the shiney i could get.....but it wound up being more of the old school shop truck/rat rod :eek:

there are those who "flip" the spring/axle to lower them--i don't know what type of issues there is with clearance of frame&oil pan etc. but is kinda what i thought about doing w/ the one me & my boy are gonna work on in a yr or 2

welcome to the unibody "club" (you either love 'em or hate 'em) & i know which one for me[cl

Attachments

• next project 3 045.jpg
    next project 3 045.jpg
    121.7 KB · Views: 22
  • next project 3 046.jpg
    next project 3 046.jpg
    115.3 KB · Views: 15
Hey thanks for the comments, yeah the lowering with the axle over springs seems to work but you need special made peice to hold the u bolt over the axle correctley. The gasser thing seems pretty sick since you don't see it much as opposed to slammed trucks.

yeah, i would love to see a unibody with a nose-bleed front end on skinny 14" kidney bean wheels and a huge set of ladder bars visible hanging to the rear to plant a set of drag slicks.......
maybe a big-block under hood and fender-well visible headers (white headers of course;) ) throw on some old school performance decals and a name like shorty's garage, or maybe an old dealership name ---you'de be in gasser or FX heaven[dr:cool:

now I wanna gasser mine--er , i mean the boys:eek:

Hahaha, yeah we will see what direction I go with the build.

A. IFS front subframe and laying frame- pros: looks sick as hell. Cons: money and effort.
B.Gasser rat- Pros: Not real common, easier suspension wise,wont have to worry about smashing against curbs and such. Cons: not much of a gasser with a 292 under the hood, Three on the tree is sick but not gasser style and I dont want to lose it.
C.Lightley lowered shop truck style- Pros: cheaper in every aspect of the build,probaly more fune to have a reliable cruiser that can be driven a whole lot and to far away shows worry free, not the coolest but cruising a 62 f100 uni with cool flat black rat paint,red rims and loud ass pipes is cooler then most people. Cons: Not super different, thats all I can think of

Idk I think thats a pretty good line up there and it looks like the shop truck wins the battle. Being it is a first project and ill get to do plenty of metal work and body work as well as get my feet wet on a ford engine(sbc guy forever....I am only 22 though)

I just want to say, that i hate you and Hotrod preacher, lol. Makes me miss my Uni, so i guess its time to find another one.

I like option C, my next project will be a cruiser. Something i wont have to worry to much about when taking it up town and cruising around. Id probably go as low as i could with the stock suspension. Believe it or not, those Unibodies ride super nice, not as bad as you'd think. But a low, good sounding cruiser would look killer with that truck.

nice truck

those unibodies really are cool. look forward on seeing your progress. You will love the sound of the Y block. my votes for keeping the straight axle.

Attachments

• 468.jpg
    468.jpg
    135.7 KB · Views: 14
Yeah I'm going to drop it as much as possible, so axle over spring, and some work on the steering box to keep it safe. Then once the body works done ill figure out some paint ideas and get to work. As far as the engine go's id like to get some ram horn manifolds and maybe a nice intake manifold to rest under the holley I got with the truck. Put some nice white walls on her and cruise on :)

I never did get the pics of the rust up, maybe tommorow.

Latest posts

Back