proper thread sealer for tapered brake fittings ?

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rat-on

I'm starting the plumbing for the brakes on my RPU and the residual valves are 1/8" pipe threads and I am using adapters get back to 3/16" flare. So I am reading different answers on the internet on what proper sealant should be used on pipe threads in a hydraulic brake system. Any Ideas?:confused:

You may have a somewhat unique situation. If you have the valves I think you have, they were originally marketed for the racing crowd. I don't know what the rules are there, but here in Ontario Canada I couldn't pass them in an inspection because of the pipe fitting joint. All connections have to be flare, and dry. Either double flare, or bubble flare. I have a set of residual valves for a project myself, and they have a brass cone seat built right in them to accept the flared line and nut, no adapters required. For your own sake, check to find out if what you have is legal. If not, and anything went wrong, you could be charged with neglect. And it wouldn't be a happy day. I'm not trying to be the bad guy, or a dick, and I may be all wrong here, but I think you'll find they are for racing applications and not the street. :)

I bought them from the Speedway Motors catalogue and I looked at other vendors to see if they had them with the 3/16" flare end, but they were 1/8" female pipe thread also. I went ahead and bought them with adapters for
3/16" flare. I guess I will try the Locktite sealer and not use teflon paste like other pipe threads.

The pipe threads are perfectly safe if sealed properly. They are used for lots of street applications - everything from master cylinders to residual valves to pressure switches. You'll be fine.
We aren't in Canada. ;)

The Permatex sealant is basically a teflon paste, but designed specifically for automotive & high temp use. It's cheap and available at any parts store. Just be sparing when applying. A little goes a long way and you don't want to get it in your system.

Thanks for the info. I swung by NAPA today and bought a tube of Permatex high pressure/high heat thread sealer for automotive use. Now I can get crack'in.[cl

i'd swap em for a set of wilwood RPVs. they're the correct flare so you need no adaptors and lets face it, less fittings means less places for a leak. they're CHEAP too. only about $15 each.

as a word of advise never put any type of sealant on any brake line fittings learn to make the double flare and tighten till its snug and thats all you need. your seal comes from the taperd end of the fitting meeting with the flare

Latest posts

Back