Putting Mopar flanges on SBC headers?

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

animal

I'm wanting to put some roadster-style or fenderwell headers on my coupe, to gain some ground clearance. I've read a few accounts of people using SBC headers with small block Mopar flanges welded on to replace the Chevy flanges. This sure would make for a larger assortment to choose from! I'm thinking about using Chevy conversion headers from a Jeep, as they're not as long as the traditional fenderwell headers.

Anyone here ever do this?

I have done this twice. Hooker and Hedman both make flanges with a stub already welded to each port. Due to the port shape, this will save you bunches of time and look good too. Get some flanges--the rest is cake.

It sounds like I'm on the right track. I had actually looked at the flanges with stubs attached....dang, they're pricey! I need to get something built or bought, as the ground clearance with the existing headers is about 2" :eek: Thanks for all the suggestions, and have a wonderful holiday of your choice!

It sounds like I'm on the right track. I had actually looked at the flanges with stubs attached....dang, they're pricey! I need to get something built or bought, as the ground clearance with the existing headers is about 2" :eek: Thanks for all the suggestions, and have a wonderful holiday of your choice!

Believe me, it's the easy way to go. I bought a set of crappy headers at a swap meet for $35.00 and used the flanges from them. The port shape is really hard to match and look right. It's worth the extra effort not to have a sbc like everyone else.
Good luck and MERRY CHRISTMAS

I used BBC headers on my Ford. I made the flanges for the 429 from ⅜" plate. Used a header gasket as a pattern and cut them out. Then, since the heads are ported a bit, used an end grinder and rotary file to finish up. The only problem I had was going from the 42½°, ( or something like that) angle from the Ford to the straight out Chevy headers. Real PIA.
The flanges were the easy part and I saved a bit by making them myself. Good luck.

Attachments

• Flanges.jpg
    Flanges.jpg
    100.8 KB · Views: 21
headers

Klink would you expand the info on your welding and brazing of your headers?

You wire weld or tig weld the header tubes then braze the outsides of them?

Years ago I built some headers for a 6 cyl due to lack of welding equipment at the time I brazed them. they held but the edges of the braze curled up. never tried it agine. but always looking for a differant look.

I built a custom Harley frame, the guy wanted a bare buffed metal look. the weld joints looked out of place so I brazed over all the joints and sanded them smooth. looked realy good with clear over it.

Klink would you expand the info on your welding and brazing of your headers?

You wire weld or tig weld the header tubes then braze the outsides of them?

Years ago I built some headers for a 6 cyl due to lack of welding equipment at the time I brazed them. they held but the edges of the braze curled up. never tried it agine. but always looking for a differant look.

I built a custom Harley frame, the guy wanted a bare buffed metal look. the weld joints looked out of place so I brazed over all the joints and sanded them smooth. looked realy good with clear over it.

The brazing fills in the space around the pipe and flange hole. By filling in this space you greatly reduce the chances that the welds will crack. TIG or MIG the pipes to the flanges then fill in the space with bronze. I weld them to the flange on the attachment side of the flange (the side that attaches to the head).

Latest posts

Back