Question about Flathead City

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DvlDg29

Any of you guys have any experience with the guys at Flathead City or H & H Flatheads? I'm looking at them for a complete engine or a block that I know isn't webbed with all the cracks that those overheating b@stards are prone too. Was hoping that someone could shed some light on their reputation.

Thanks guys.

Any of you guys have any experience with the guys at Flathead City or H & H Flatheads? I'm looking at them for a complete engine or a block that I know isn't webbed with all the cracks that those overheating b@stards are prone too. Was hoping that someone could shed some light on their reputation.

Don't know anything about Flathead City but H&H has a pretty good rep but they are expensive and very slow! I know several guys that have had motors built at H&H and don't get me wrong, they build a beautiful product but my buddy has been waiting 8 months. IMO that's just doesn't get it and especially for the price! His motor has gotten up to $14K and will have 175-185HP. :eek:

Zipper

Don't know anything about Flathead City but H&H has a pretty good rep but they are expensive and very slow! I know several guys that have had motors built at H&H and don't get me wrong, they build a beautiful product but my buddy has been waiting 8 months. IMO that's just doesn't get it and especially for the price! His motor has gotten up to $14K and will have 175-185HP. :eek:

Zipper

Wow, thanks for the heads up. That's not a lot of go for that much dough :confused:. I got an email back from the flathead city guys but not from H&H yet. Guess it can't hurt to talk to them and see what they say. It's good to know what your up against first though. Thanks for the comment.

Wow, thanks for the heads up. That's not a lot of go for that much dough :confused:. I got an email back from the flathead city guys but not from H&H yet. Guess it can't hurt to talk to them and see what they say. It's good to know what your up against first though. Thanks for the comment.

I had a flathead built by H&H. My experience was very good. The engine was top notch and it didn't take very long. Mike Herman worked with me to get me exactly what I wanted and I was very pleased. I got the impression that he wastes a lot of his time with folks that leave him hanging when I talked to him.

Thanks for the info guys, I understand the lack of HP you can pull out of them. Still love the look. Gastrick, that engine is gorgeous! Are the Navaro heads worth the cost over Offy's or Edelbrock?

I'm not a flathead expert but I think the difference between aftermarket heads is nominal on a street engine. Mostly personal preference.

I wanted my flathead to have an "all business" look without much glitz. For comparison, Here is a photo of my engine while it was still at H&H parked next to an almost identical engine that was put together with more show appeal factored in.

Gastrick, thanks for the info. I personally like the look of yours much better than the flashy version next to it. Mind if I ask how it runs on open roads? I commute about 50 miles one way and would like to build something that can make the trip on occasion.

I never got that one on the road. Traded it away for something else before the car was finished...BUT I did have a 46 Ford with a flathead that I drove everywhere. It's just like any other engine really. Don't build it too radical and it will run fine and behave well on the road for many, many, miles.

I never got that one on the road. Traded it away for something else before the car was finished...BUT I did have a 46 Ford with a flathead that I drove everywhere. It's just like any other engine really. Don't build it too radical and it will run fine and behave well on the road for many, many, miles.

Thanks man. That was my thinking too. I appreciate you being patient with a rookie. Trying to get my first project started and I'm learning tons here.

Check out --GoCatSpeedShop.com-- They do a lot of Flat Head motors.

Talk to Eric, they have done nice 94 carbs for me, Web Site has a lot of pictues of FH motors they have done.

Check out --GoCatSpeedShop.com-- They do a lot of Flat Head motors.

Talk to Eric, they have done nice 94 carbs for me, Web Site has a lot of pictues of FH motors they have done.

Thanks, I'll check them out. I just bought a '51 8BA from a member over on the HAMB so I'll be going the rebuild route and looking for parts. I guess once I pick the flatty up on Sunday, my build will officially begin, now I just need a chasis, cab, bed, and on and on and on.:D

Gastricks experience with H and H is just one of many favorable ones I have read about on various forums. They have a superb reputation for building a great motor and super nice service.

Don

Latest posts

Back