question on shipping

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Willowbilly3

A *real* tin magnet
I come to you guys 'cuz I get straight up advice. My situation and question; I have a model A sedan cowl for sale on another forum's classifieds. I put local pickup only but still get hounded to ship the thing. I have tried to help guys out in the same situation. It's like "Just throw it on a pallet and I'll arrange shipping" And then, "Oh could you strap it on the pallet with ratchet straps and cover it with cardboard?" Then I wait all day for the shipper, only to find out they don't come on that day. Soooo.. If I do decide to go to this movie again, how much should I charge above actual costs? Keep in mind I have to go drive around town to find a pallet too.

model a cowl

doesn't everyone want one, hang in there you will find someone local or willing to travel.

plus if you find someone closer, he or she might have something that you want now or in the future. it is always good to know the car nuts in the neighborhood.

Shipping is a problem, no matter what you do. If guys will pay it, (which you have to find out in advance), take it to a pack and ship place and drop it off and be done with it. Shipping cost go up about 1/3 but it is no hassle for you.

Stick to your guns DON'T SHIP IT! I put a 27 Buick cowl on a pallet strapped it wrapped it and the shipper let someone put 2 more pallets on top of it needless to say it was destroyed and I am still (2yrs.later) trying to get something back for it!!!

How heavy is it? You may be able to ship it UPS. If i'm figuring right it's gotta be around 3' x 3' x 2' right? UPS can ship boxes that size. Freight shipping is a PITA imo.

It's always a problem selling big, bulky parts. We have a bunch of decent 50 Ford body parts left over from my Son's project and would love to sell them and see someone who needs them get them, but shipping is the problem.

I have in the past agreed to strap something like an engine to a pallet if the buyer did all the arranging for shipping and all I had to do was lift it onto the truck when it came. I did that twice and it worked out ok. But for stuff like doors that might be damaged in transit it would take building a crate, which we don't feel like getting involved with.

Don

I'd have to agree on waiting for a local pickup. For the price your are going to get for that, building a pallet/cardboard crate, dragging it to the shipping terminal and worrying about damage isn't worth it.

I might be tempted to say "local pickup or delivery within 100 miles for xxx per mile" or something in my add. Make the delivery fee worth your time. That might expand your selling area a bit.

Try Uship.com most of he time you don't need a pallet. They don't want to handle a pallet, takes too much room and is hard to handle. We have had real good luck with Uship.

We have greyhound and they are real reasonable on bigger stuff like doors. This cowl still has the door posts and windshield frame so it will take up some room. The thing it seems like I run into is people who think actual shipping costs should cover it when it takes a lot of my time to get it ready and either deliver it or wait for the pickup. I don't have a store front and on any given day may be gone doing other things. Things I decide to do almost impulsively, like it you get up and it's a nice day with no wind, it will have an affect on where I go that day.

JMHO....

Don't bother with trying to ship it...if you said pickup only, just keep repeating it...."local pickup only".... as said, you will find someone who will come and get it....just may take a bit more time....so my advise, stick to your guns and don't ship it....

on a side note: I used Uship to have my kids Harley shipped from CA....worked out great but I've heard horror stories about things being shipped.... this shipper was great...loaded it, strapped it down, covered it and there is was until it arrived.....without a scratch and totally intact....

Latest posts

Back