Radiator way out front looks weird to me!

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Toad

I hope this doesn't offend anyone but I went to a car show yesterday and there was a fenderless ratted out truck there that used a modern frame and the radiator and grill sat way out in front of the wheels. I thought this really sort of odd looking but then again that's just me.

Toad

I agree.

Even if you build with free parts, you need to pay attention to proportion when you put the parts together. A foot of engine set-back (front wheels move forward same amount) probably would have helped the looks of that truck a bunch.

i dont mind if the engine and radiator are sitting on the frame and there is a foot or so of open frame until the front wheels, but i agree that too much room between the engine and radiator looks off to me too.

The same can be true of the wheels sticking out way past the front of the car too IMO.LOL

Toad, I totally agree. I always try to discourage the use of frames like S-10 on fenderless builds, they just defy any sense of balance and proportion. To me, the radiator belongs somewhere in the area of the front rims on a fenderless rod. And I also agree with sneakypete but too far back isn't as hideous as too far foreward

everything depends on proportions whether the build is fenderless or not:cool:

there is a "look" that some rods capture --some don't -- and it isn't always easy to explain what makes one rod look good and the other .....not so good

That does look strange and definately needs extra attention to keep proportions right. Do you have pics?

42chevy,
Sorry, didn't take any pictures but wish I had now. The radiator and grill sat way out front. I saw the truck form the back and was excite to see what it looked like and when I saw how disproportioned it was I was freaked out. It was a early 50's Chev body and I guess the orig frame.

Toad

everything depends on proportions whether the build is fenderless or not:cool:

there is a "look" that some rods capture --some don't -- and it isn't always easy to explain what makes one rod look good and the other .....not so good

Ol Dad Baskerville wrote a great article on that years ago. I wish I still had the magazine. He covered a lot of issues like stance, tire/wheel sizes and keeping all the front end components, like the wishbones and drag link, parelell to each other and to the ground.
For every righteous ratrod there seems to be three that just hurt my eyes.

I agree, I saw one at a car show recently and was really put off by the proportions. Truck looked great from the engine back but that radiator sticking way out front was such a turn off. Just my .02! :eek:

Rattler

Well since I mounted radiator and headlights this weekend, I thought I would throw myself out there and show you guys how it ended up. Like it or not, this is it.

And keep in mind that the front wheels are 13" so if I ever go to 14's or 15's it will change a little. And the rad is not higher than the cowl.

Attachments

• rad lights 1.jpg
    rad lights 1.jpg
    53 KB · Views: 39
  • rad lights 2.jpg
    rad lights 2.jpg
    57.5 KB · Views: 41
  • rad lights 3.jpg
    rad lights 3.jpg
    51.7 KB · Views: 35
Gasser300, There's nothing wrong with the way your car looks. In fact, it looks really good to me.

There was a rat that had the radiator located about 6 feet away from the motor at the car show this past weekend, and it looked great.... radiator was in the back.:D

Well since I mounted radiator and headlights this weekend, I thought I would throw myself out there and show you guys how it ended up. Like it or not, this is it.

And keep in mind that the front wheels are 13" so if I ever go to 14's or 15's it will change a little. And the rad is not higher than the cowl.

I think the other guys are talking about the whole "fenderless-on-an-S10-frame" things that are turning up more and more.:(

Your "T" looks really good to me and I really dig that it's still "TALL.":D

Regards,
Shea:)

Latest posts

Back