Radius Rod Adjustments?

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ratcrazy

OK I am at the part of my build to where I need to mount the radius rods on the front axle. What I need to know is how to go about adjusting them once I have them on to get the 6-8 degree angle needed?

Larry

you build the rods or buy them?

I bought these from Lahr's Speed and Customs in Slaughters Ky.

I have never set up any radius rods before and need to know steps to go by.

Do I start out with the clevises ran all the way in and the heim ran all the in? Half way out? Where so I start. I know I need to have the caster about 6-8 degrees.[S

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks
Larry

Attachments

• DSCF0305.jpg
    DSCF0305.jpg
    36.3 KB · Views: 47
  • DSCF0306.jpg
    DSCF0306.jpg
    49.8 KB · Views: 54
  • DSCF0307.jpg
    DSCF0307.jpg
    48.9 KB · Views: 53
1st of all, take the clevises out of the front...set the ends on the floor.
if the back mount is not 90 degrees to the floor your angle is built in.
the one's i bought were that way.

I started all my clevises turned in with a 1/2" of thread showing

This is what I would do....set the frame up at ride height. Square the axle to the frame, wheels and tires off, block the axle with the spring loose at the frame mount. Using an angle finder placed on the king pin boss, set the axle caster at 7 degrees. Determine if the spring needs to be shimmed so that it stays square to the frame mount or needs a wedge shaped shimm. Don't want any twist in the spring. Now that the axle and spring are in their correct location, you can determine the location of rear mount for the radius rods, about half the threads showing on the heim. Next adjust the front clevises to attach to the bat wings [axle mts]. If you have enough threads to adjust the clvises to in at top and out at the bottom your good to go. Sometimes you have to shorten the top tube but sort of depends where you mount the back of the radius rods. If you're not sure about my explanation just reply and I or someone will give you some more help.

Fuzz: When I welded my spring perch in place I put it at 6 degrees. I read this somewhere in one of the forums about locating the perch. One said to locate it a 0 degrees also but I used the 6 degree location and welded it in.

Before I did that I made sure the frame was level. I set my angle finder on the rails to assure the frame was level front to back and used a level across the frame rails to assure it was level from side to side and then place the angle finder on the perch itself and tacked the perch at 6 degrees before welding in solid. Will this make a difference when following your instructions?:confused:

Thanks Track-T. I will check that this afternoon when I get home.

Thanks to you both for your help.

Larry

Last edited:
Fuzz: I followed your instruction as followed:

Set the frame at ride heigth with the tires and wheels off.
Squared the spring to the frame.
Checked the angle from the kingpin boss. It reads at the present time 5 degrees but I believe I can tweek it a little more to 7 degrees.
Adjusted the lower clevis until the heim joint is roughly 3 1/2 inches from the bottom of the frame rails. Didnt have to move the upper clevis.

I think now all I need to do is build the mounting brackets for the heim which will be around 3 1/2 wide by 4 1/2 tall and weld them to the frame rails.

If I missed anything let me know.

Track-T: I did also as you suggested with the clevises removed and the rods are square to each other so I believe this means the angle was not build in during production.

Thanks again to the both of you for all the help in setting up the front end.

Larry

Attachments

• DSCF0311.jpg
    DSCF0311.jpg
    41.1 KB · Views: 37
  • DSCF0312.jpg
    DSCF0312.jpg
    27 KB · Views: 31
  • DSCF0308.jpg
    DSCF0308.jpg
    25 KB · Views: 34
  • DSCF0310.jpg
    DSCF0310.jpg
    46.7 KB · Views: 53
  • DSCF0309.jpg
    DSCF0309.jpg
    49.8 KB · Views: 54
Last edited:
Larry.you're doni just fine with the set up. I see in one picture that you're using a swivel type spring perch and that will adjust out any additional caster you might need and keep the spring shackles from binding. 6 degrees caster will probably be ok, depends on how much rake you end up with after mounting wheels and tires. If you use big tires in the rear that will raise the frame above the level mock up of the frame that is the forward rake I speak of. You have some adjustment left in the clevises if you need alittle more caster.

Also I see you're using a rack and pinion steering mounted to the axle.[cl Good choice cuz it is much better than the old steering boxes and drag links. Remember to use a slip joint in the steering column to allow for the axle movement. All is looking good:D

[cl yea me..........heheheheh:D, thanks for all the help.

Oh yeah, a slip joint for sure.

Yes with the swivel spring hanger and being a spring over setup I think adjusting it will be no problem now. I just wanted some advise from someone who has done this before and knows the ins and outs of setting up the frontend. That's what is so good about these forums, people helping people.:)

Will post a couple more pictures tomorrow after I get the heim mounts made and welded in.[;)

Thanks again.

Larry

Latest posts

Back