Ranting. Don't mind me!

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tecster

Grrrrr. So mad, so I have my 1967 International 1ton, which needs a few parts here and there. I'm cruising down the list on Craigslist and boom! I see a 1965 International 1100 that runs, for $300.... I'm so excited, I get pumped - I get a trailer lined up, get the truck all ready....

Boom! I don't have anywhere to store or work on it so I don't think I can get it...

This is why I wish I had someone near me in which had a shop that I could just toss it in, rmeove what I need, and then get rid of it!

/endrant

Grrrrr. So mad, so I have my 1967 International 1ton, which needs a few parts here and there. I'm cruising down the list on Craigslist and boom! I see a 1965 International 1100 that runs, for $300.... I'm so excited, I get pumped - I get a trailer lined up, get the truck all ready....

Boom! I don't have anywhere to store or work on it so I don't think I can get it...

This is why I wish I had someone near me in which had a shop that I could just toss it in, rmeove what I need, and then get rid of it!

/endrant

Don't know if I'm near ya but I got some room out back.

Make a deal with a local junk yard to have the truck hauled there, strip off what you need, and they can have the carcass for free. Win-win.

Don

Got two recycle / junk yards by me that will do that...

take what ya want and donate the rest for their scrap pile.....as don said, win win.....

Make a deal with a local junk yard to have the truck hauled there, strip off what you need, and they can have the carcass for free. Win-win.

Don

take what ya want and donate the rest for their scrap pile.....as don said, win win.....

Unfortunately I don't have the tools to take with me, ya know? I want to remove the motor and trans at least but I can't do that by myself for one and for two I don't have a engine hoist!

Darn....you sure are making it difficult to make a suggeston...lol

Unfortunately I don't have the tools to take with me, ya know? I want to remove the motor and trans at least but I can't do that by myself for one and for two I don't have a engine hoist!

most yards can pull the motor and trans for you....darn fast... maybe you can work out a deal for that and have them take the rest for scrap./??? unless you want a ton of smaller stuff they can have the motor and trans out in no time....even load it up on your truck for you....if you lived near me I'd help ya out....anyway..talk to them Don't know till you ask....never say never.....:D

True, well good news - a old friend of mine owns a shop close and he does scrap. Gonna call him tomorrow see if I can tow it to his shop, him help me pull the motor and let me take what I need and he can scrap the rest.

I truly want the running motor and transmission and some little stuff.

If that doesn't work out, like Sarge said, most yards will pull their wrecker or forklift up and yank it out for you. I have tipped the guys there a few bucks and they have put a car up on a rack and torched out rear ends and other heavy parts for me.

Where there is a will there is a way. :)

Don

If you don't have tools or a place to work, you might want to re-think your short term plans for the gear head hobby. Shop space is a premium anywhere I've ever lived and If I did have the space and the tools, I would be reluctant to let some one with no tools start junking out cars in there. What will you do with the engine when you get it out? Do you have a good place to store in indoors? Outside under a tarp is very short term, like maybe a couple nights until you can get it in because it will be a useless lump of iron real quick setting outside.
I'm not trying to discourage you or rain on your parade, just interjecting what 59 years of reality have taught me.

If you don't have tools or a place to work, you might want to re-think your short term plans for the gear head hobby. Shop space is a premium anywhere I've ever lived and If I did have the space and the tools, I would be reluctant to let some one with no tools start junking out cars in there. What will you do with the engine when you get it out? Do you have a good place to store in indoors? Outside under a tarp is very short term, like maybe a couple nights until you can get it in because it will be a useless lump of iron real quick setting outside.
I'm not trying to discourage you or rain on your parade, just interjecting what 59 years of reality have taught me.

I have plenty of room for the PROJECT truck, but that's over at my girlfriends dads and I don't want to overstep my boundaries and over stay my welcome by loading up that driveway with broken down trucks and projects. I don't have the tools to take on the go to a yard to remove and engine and or that quick ya know?

Your father in laws tools and garage, but doesn't that mean you still have no tools and garage of your own? It's nice of your FIL to let you use his and very considerate that you respect the place enough to not junk it up

Your father in laws tools and garage, but doesn't that mean you still have no tools and garage of your own? It's nice of your FIL to let you use his and very considerate that you respect the place enough to not junk it up

I may not have thousands in tools, but these cars weren't built with a million dollar tool chest. Simple hand tools, air compressor and elbow grease can surprisingly go a long way.

I do appreciate your knowledge and insight, and I am planning for a future when I do get a home of my own to have enough garage space for my toys and then some. My girlfriend of the moment knows how much I enjoy tinkering and she's all for it so we'll see when that time comes but for now I'm going to do my best with what I got [cl

Gotta start somewhere! Might as well learn the hard way with the hand tools before getting all the easy stuff to play with!

Did the girlfriends father's house and attempted to build an older ford pickup in the street in front of my house long ago....neither worked out very well!:eek:
Listen to the advice being given here. Without adequate garage space it makes building or simply tinkering with cars a hard task.....but if you're that determined then things usually have a way of working themselves out....hang in there and good luck...

Did the girlfriends father's house and attempted to build an older ford pickup in the street in front of my house long ago....neither worked out very well!:eek:
Listen to the advice being given here. Without adequate garage space it makes building or simply tinkering with cars a hard task.....but if you're that determined then things usually have a way of working themselves out....hang in there and good luck...

I'm throughly listening to the advice being given but I'm not going to just give up on a project I've started just because someone advises that it's not easy to do. I do appreciate the advice and I will like I said take it into deep consideration when I go to purchase my house next year.

[cl

Stick with man. Where there is a will there is a way!

Thank you sir! I appreciate the kind words, there's been plenty of people worse off then me who have completed better projects! All within due time and persistence!

Latest posts

Back