Rat Frame Photos

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I agree eddie, I've been mocking up my frame for my IH and this thread has givin me some good ideers. I've already changed my mind twice on how I'm gonna do the z'ing in the front & rear. Keep the pics and ideas coming, good thread!

Junkyard frame--Dodge D50 mini truck. I bought 7-8 of them a few years back for $25 each and have build a number of cars on them..

Basically free so can't beat that part. The IRS is from a JY Cougar --I think appx $75--not sure. $100 for the 5.0 Ford w tranny from a car headed for the scales--runs fine. The 33 Dodge cab and grill shell was a budget buster--$700 I think, but I wanted it real bad..

Just ratting..

PA41

Attachments

• rimroller 013.jpg
    rimroller 013.jpg
    155.8 KB · Views: 61
  • rimroller 034.jpg
    rimroller 034.jpg
    156 KB · Views: 53
  • rimroller 038.jpg
    rimroller 038.jpg
    151.8 KB · Views: 54
  • bentlyspeedster 045.jpg
    bentlyspeedster 045.jpg
    172.9 KB · Views: 69
Junkyard frame--Dodge D50 mini truck. I bought 7-8 of them a few years back for $25 each and have build a number of cars on them..

Basically free so can't beat that part. The IRS is from a JY Cougar --I think appx $75--not sure. $100 for the 5.0 Ford w tranny from a car headed for the scales--runs fine. The 33 Dodge cab and grill shell was a budget buster--$700 I think, but I wanted it real bad..

Just ratting..

PA41

Rear IFS huh?! Thata unique. I like it!
Bet the truck will drive like a dream!

Rear IFS huh?! Thata unique. I like it!
Bet the truck will drive like a dream!

The front has a chevy Van solid axle, the rear is independent. Theres alot of independent rears out now that just have a sub frame you can weld in a project. Its really cheep and easy and 'interesting'--good ratting material. Chevy van straight axles are still out there too, but they can be a little wide. They usually take Chevy disks from the 70s--slip right on--just fab some caliper mounts.

Here's the front of the Dodge, and another example of the 'weld in' IRS Toyota Supra stub I did on a T. Also a pic of a 99 Mustang IRS stub- a little more $, but possi and strong if ya gonna make some HP..

It is really easier to do this than any other rear axle I've done. All you do is figger the ride height issues and the pinion angle and square it to the frame and burn the stub into the frame. In the import donors, heaver built possies can be found in turbo cars real often, and they usually have deep gears(4-5/1) cause of the smaller motors which can make for a fun street burner with a stock V8 in a light rat. They will tollerate 300 hp in a light car usually.. American cars usually have a lighter (3.5) appx ratio cause of the larger-torquier engines. The Cougar/T birds in the 90s have a weird front wheel drive bolt pattern, but are usually cheep as they are heading to the crusher.

Fun&cheep JY building.

PA41

Attachments

• 100_0282.jpg
    100_0282.jpg
    129.9 KB · Views: 31
  • bentlyspeedster 026.jpg
    bentlyspeedster 026.jpg
    136.1 KB · Views: 30
  • sarahtoolsrods 040.jpg
    sarahtoolsrods 040.jpg
    161.6 KB · Views: 31
  • 99mustang.jpg
    99mustang.jpg
    39.4 KB · Views: 36
  • Disc1_012PA%27sNewRatNearMarkMartinFord.jpg
    Disc1_012PA%27sNewRatNearMarkMartinFord.jpg
    60.5 KB · Views: 42
Underslungs?

I'm rubbing on an underslung idea, but I can't find most of my pics I've saved of them. Do any of youse guys have any you could post? Would appreciate it if so.

I've got some ideas for a real low (4-6" clearance) chassis single seater using the front of a flipped 48 binder bob truck frame, but I have some issues about the underslung and some pics would help..

I have a Mazda RX7 turbo independent rear that has a camber changing swing arm setup that might allow me to set the pumpkin 4-5" low and have the axle shafts angle a little up to the wheels without having nasty camber changes. That way I could have a low seating arrangement and strattle the driveshaft.

Heres some pics of an American underslung I've found lately.. Anyone have any more to add?

Thanks

PA41

Attachments

• wo9523g.jpg
    wo9523g.jpg
    59.7 KB · Views: 26
  • wo9523f.jpg
    wo9523f.jpg
    77.6 KB · Views: 21
Last edited:

Latest posts

Back