Rat Rod Buggy Input Needed

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ratty57

Ok, I'm looking for a bit of help here. Let me be clear that I am definitely a newbie to the rat rod scene, but do have a good degree of mechanical ability.
I've had a couple of early 70's monte carlos before that I have tinkered with.
Kids are growing up, so now I am hoping to get back and paly around with some new toys. I have had my eye on this unique looking "what is it" as my wife calls it.

http://orlando.craigslist.org/cto/4587357648.html

The one thing that I have never really done is any welding or metal work.

I'd like to get some input for suggestions on ideas for simple floor and seats.
Possibly diamond plate and some racing type seats? I am open for jut about anything.

Looking to hear some expert opinions...

Thanks

No expert here, but I see that thing with a cool older jeep front grill and slammed as far as it will go. Maybe a short truck bed to cover up the frame. Could be a T jeep .

For that price tag, I'd buy it even if it's just for a clear 55 title. Cut off all the crap, bolt on a body that you like, bolt on a grill shell and seats of your choice, lower it and get some period correct smooth steel wheels and wide whites and call her done.

Could have something pretty nice and streetable for well under $3000 and you can do it at your leisure. With what you are starting with, you could do a lot and still not have to weld.

Hell ya! Looks like it's spring over axle front and rear. Flip it to spring under and get as low as possible as stated, slap a jeep tub on there with an old car grill out front and go from there....

Thanks for all the ideas so far. Lots of options.

Would I be able to use diamond plate for the flooring and then mount the seat brackets through the diamond plate.

I'm thinking along the lines of 1/4" diamond plate bolted through the parts of the frame that are currently exposed. Would I need to weld it in place.

Looks like I could cut a simple rectangular floor?

Thoughts?

for that price it's a good learning project. find a wire feed welder you can afford and watch some videos on how to weld and let you imagination go crazy.
i think your over building on the floor, a little 1x1 tubing and some 1/8th inch is plenty for a floor. [;)

MHO, what ever just have fun [cl

Is that a CJ7 chassis?
If so a Model T will fit right on it.
Even stock jeep steering gear and column bolted right back in.
I built this offroad T about 13 years ago.
Most fun I ever had with a car,or truck thing,or something.[S
It was fun to drive whatever you call it.
Wish I had kept it.

Attachments

• Picture 120.jpg
    Picture 120.jpg
    51.2 KB · Views: 37
(the voice of reason) :rolleyes: Is there a vin number anywhere on it to match the title? Here in AZ they would not like calling this a '55 Ford. That drivetrain will get you around for cheap fun but if it has poor compression or smokes it isn't worth rebuilding. If you plan it right you can keep the welding down to a minimum. You can fab a bucket body yourself with a careful eye for proportions by accumulating a pile of sheetmetal from the junkyard with an assortment of compound curves. It can be riveted, bolted and/or glued with panel adhesive. Oh crap, i went back and read you were asking for expert opinions. Nevermind. Welcome to the board anyway.

Ok, it has been a while and work is slowing down, so I may begin to have some time again. I'm still looking at this. I can't believe it has not sold yet.

My next questions on it....

I plan to use diamond plate for the floor. Simple rectangular floor. The owner says that the frame has already been drilled for that same thing. Can I get by with just bolting some seat frames through the diamond plate and using compatible seats. Or, would it be necessary to weld brackets?

I do not have a welder or any welding skills.

Here is a new link, http://orlando.craigslist.org/cto/4690017702.html

Looking for some straight forward ideas

Ok, it has been a while and work is slowing down, so I may begin to have some time again. I'm still looking at this. I can't believe it has not sold yet.

My next questions on it....

I plan to use diamond plate for the floor. Simple rectangular floor. The owner says that the frame has already been drilled for that same thing. Can I get by with just bolting some seat frames through the diamond plate and using compatible seats. Or, would it be necessary to weld brackets?

I do not have a welder or any welding skills.

Here is a new link, http://orlando.craigslist.org/cto/4690017702.html

Looking for some straight forward ideas

You need something that the bolts go through on the bottom side of the floor. You don't want bolts pulling through the floor in the event of a collision, which they can easily do. How do you plan to secure the floor to the vehicle?

I see the ad says it has a 1955 Ford title. Since it's not a 1955 Ford, how does that work, and is it actually legitimate to use it for that truck? I wouldn't want to put a whole bunch of time into it and not be able to drive the thing, either right away or after someone important figures that out down the road.

I'm no expert (disclaimer), but ...

Like earthman said, check on the title issue first, and if that is legit (VIN tag matches title), then I would go for it! It doesn't have to be perfect the first time out. Consider it a learning experience and a way to start doing things you always wanted to do. Even if it bombs out, you still have a bunch of parts, and you can redo anything you think is shoddy or not good enough. Part of the hobby - tinkering! Dive in and get your feet wet, and learn to swim. ;)

As for the floor and seats, it would depend on the thickness of the metal you use for the floor. You can always brace and build more solid support for seats and belts and other safety items. After all, that is paramount to being able to enjoy this once it is done!

floor metal thk ???

i just went completed a floor on a 52 dodge. find my post in builds section ( 1952 dodge pick up rat resto.) 16 gauge steel is thick enough for your floor and thick enough to bolt thru. and not pull out under impact. A mig welder makes things easy. I recommend and use .023 (6mm) wire and Co2 shielding gas. Because your a novice welder i would stay clear of core wire its really hot and difficult to weld thinner metal with. Also when your floor is complete i use brush on bed liner to rust protect the metal. (16 gauge is about 1/8 in thk) HOPE I WAS HELP-FULL.

Attachments

• IMG_20141101_152233.jpg
    IMG_20141101_152233.jpg
    99.4 KB · Views: 13
  • IMG_20141104_160536.jpg
    IMG_20141104_160536.jpg
    104 KB · Views: 13
11ga is .120 thick...

for the price I would pass.. If it were me I would save up more and find something that doesnt have title issues as well as something that was more complete

I can't believe it has not sold yet.

I can!

It's basically a common undesirable engine, some random scrap metal and a non-matching title - Steer clear.

It's one thing to want a project, it's another to complete one. My advice would be to take your money and invest in a quality used welder and some basic metal tools. Take some classes at the local Vo-Tech. They are cheap, hands-on and informative. Develop some fab skills before you attempt ANY such project. You will be better off for it and more well-suited to tackling a job like this. Otherwise you will likely find it much more frustrating than fun.

There are always projects out there, and you can certainly get something more "build-worthy" when you are ready.

My $.02

Latest posts

Back