Rat Rod Dune Buggy Build

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ratty57

Looking for input on something that I was thinking about.

I'd like to possibly build something similar to a sand rail but not using a VW platform.

I'm thinking about finding a good chasis and stripping the rest of the car down and would go with a roll cage welded to the the floor pans, and running with open fenders and maybe a wooden bed.

I can handle most engine related stuff but the fabrication is my weak spot.

What would be some possible cars to use as a basis. I'm considering maybe a 70's el camino or similar. I'm thinking a solid frame would still be easy to find from that era. I know there is the proportion debate especially with IFS. Just looking for ideas.

Something similar to this...
http://gmauthority.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2014/12/Roadkill-C4-Kart-Video.jpg

Last edited:

Attachments

• dwarcar dune buggy.jpg
    dwarcar dune buggy.jpg
    126.2 KB · Views: 31
  • dwarcar dune buggy1.jpg
    dwarcar dune buggy1.jpg
    115.5 KB · Views: 32
  • 55 buggy.jpg
    55 buggy.jpg
    127.1 KB · Views: 31
  • dune rat.jpg
    dune rat.jpg
    85.5 KB · Views: 34
  • dune rat1.jpg
    dune rat1.jpg
    184.3 KB · Views: 35
What's your intended purpose for the car? If you want it to be a sand car, then the further back over the wheels you can put the weight, the better. A front-engine RWD car won't be the best for those purposes, since there will be little weight over the rear.

If you want something like the Roadkill Vette Kart (your picture, not a dune buggy) that handles well, then starting with a clapped out corvette and stripping it will be your best bet.

Start with what you want it to be, to figure out what the best donor is.

Roadkill-C4-Kart-Video.jpg

Last edited:
It would be more so for driving around as a weekend car on the street. I like the thought of a vette but are a bit pricey, although I could sell what is stripped.

Thoughts on a 79 mustang as a platform? Can pick one up for less than a grand.

It would be more so for driving around as a weekend car on the street. I like the thought of a vette but are a bit pricey, although I could sell what is stripped.

Thoughts on a 79 mustang as a platform? Can pick one up for less than a grand.

I'd like to grab the engine/trans/cradle out of a 2000ish Bonneville and build a rear engine tube buggy. gooogle "transaxle buggy" many of them are set up with the engine turned 90 degrees to build a 4x4. could leave it crosswise to build a light "Arial Atom" type of car

Building a buggy is all about fabrication. Modern vehicles rely on the body for structure...if you remove body parts, their function needs to be replaced with tube work.

If you plan on going fast or off-road or off-road and fast, you need a real cage. A vw buggy with a stock motor was relatively safe because it was underpowered. A v8 buggy could be dangerous as hell.

Latest posts

Back