Rat Rod Pinto Project

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

suicidepinto

Hey how is it going? I grew up with my dad selling Fords for over 20 years so you just know that I am a Ford diehard thru and thru. I lived tru the fifties and sixties owning a 57 Ford four door hardtop that I purchased fo $50.00. Doesn't this sound like a typical story. Well i moved on to Fairlanes in the mid 60's (63-64-66GT390 4 speed). Then I had a 66 Mustang GT. Then a new 1969 Torino GT 351. Then I bought a used 1969 Mustang GT 428 with all the go fast stuff. The local police all seemed to know me for some reason. Then I got married and bought a new 1972 Ford Pinto. My dad and I rebuilt wrecked Pinto's for many years and I simply found them very interesting and easy to work on. I built a highly modified 2.0 for one of my cars and had great fun with it. I then started rebuilding wrecked Mustangs for several years but still had this desire for a different kind of Pinto rod. Back in 1988 I bought a 1977 Pinto Glass Hatchback that had an engine fire. I sold the motor and had to replace the cowl after the firemen opened the hood so far back that it crushed the cowl. I cut the back out of the car to tub it but then I lost my job. I have installed a 302 and that is where it sits now. i am looking forward to doing a set of suicide doors on this car and removing the fenders and making the front end look like a 33 ford slammed to the ground. It al has to start somewhere.

Last edited:
Welcome.......

Welcome, suicidepinto.
I had a '57 Ford 2 door and '57 Ford 4 door wagon in the 60's. :cool:
Keep working on posting those pictures and enjoy your time here. '22

Welcome to the 3 R's roundup suicidepinto :D Keep the pictures coming, like cookies we got to have/need PICTURES!!!!!!
Ratcrazy

One new Pinto pic

Hey how is it going? I grew up with my dad selling Fords for over 20 years so you just know that I am a Ford diehard thru and thru. I lived tru the fifties and sixties owning a 57 Ford four door hardtop that I purchased fo $50.00. Doesn't this sound like a typical story. Well i moved on to Fairlanes in the mid 60's (63-64-66GT390 4 speed). Then I had a 66 Mustang GT. Then a new 1969 Torino GT 351. Then I bought a used 1969 Mustang GT 428 with all the go fast stuff. The local police all seemed to know me for some reason. Then I got married and bought a new 1972 Ford Pinto. My dad and I rebuilt wrecked Pinto's for many years and I simply found them very interesting and easy to work on. I built a highly modified 2.0 for one of my cars and had great fun with it. I then started rebuilding wrecked Mustangs for several years but still had this desire for a different kind of Pinto rod. Back in 1988 I bought a 1977 Pinto Glass Hatchback that had an engine fire. I sold the motor and had to replace the cowl after the firemen opened the hood so far back that it crushed the cowl. I cut the back out of the car to tub it but then I lost my job. I have installed a 302 and that is where it sits now. i am looking forward to doing a set of suicide doors on this car and removing the fenders and making the front end look like a 33 ford slammed to the ground. It al has to start somewhere.

Success with photobucket
IMG_0753.jpg

3inchsteeldice.jpg

i made these 3" steel hanging dice and have sold several sets. They weigh 6 pounds and measure 3 1/2 inches square and have a chain 24" long. If anybody is interested in a set just let me know.

Last edited:
... still had this desire for a different kind of Pinto rod. Back in 1988 I bought a 1977 Pinto Glass Hatchback that had an engine fire. I sold the motor and had to replace the cowl after the firemen opened the hood so far back that it crushed the cowl. I cut the back out of the car to tub it but then I lost my job. I have installed a 302 and that is where it sits now. i am looking forward to doing a set of suicide doors on this car and removing the fenders and making the front end look like a 33 ford slammed to the ground. It al has to start somewhere.

I'm with you up until the removing the fenders and the 33 front end. Not to discourage, but that's a real hard one to pull off. The open wheel look on a late model widebody.

Do you have a drawing or photo of the final idea? I have a few suggestions, but I won't push them unless asked - not right to force my opinion at this point - it's your art after all.

I'm with you up until the removing the fenders and the 33 front end. Not to discourage, but that's a real hard one to pull off. The open wheel look on a late model widebody.

Do you have a drawing or photo of the final idea? I have a few suggestions, but I won't push them unless asked - not right to force my opinion at this point - it's your art after all.
I do not have anything sketched. i am just thinking this might be a different platform to work with. I already have this car and just like everybody else. (Broke) Let me hear your ideas for I am open. I know that low is what I want with suicide doors. Thanks for ideas in advance.

OK, the usual problem with trying to make a wide-body into an open wheel front end is picture #1. Picture #2 is a artist rendering of what the best outcome could be - I don't think the wheels are gonna fit between the lines on the road unless the body has been narrowed though.

Attachments

• 617f_3.JPG
    617f_3.JPG
    86.9 KB · Views: 37
  • RatRod_by_GoodieDesign.jpg
    RatRod_by_GoodieDesign.jpg
    145.4 KB · Views: 45
Need someone to photoshop this idea.

Pinto's made great looking super modifieds though.

pintomodified.jpg

Back in the 70's Pintos & Vegas made cool modifieds. The one is not a super modified but, a NASCAR series modified.

Welcome to the site! Love to see some more pics of your pinto. I had a 1.6L Pinto, 1970 model, back in the day. It really was an interesting car.

Oh yeah, those dice are cool as.... You should post something in the FOR SALE forum if you have any available.

What I like about that 61 car is the low wide grill look - tall grills usually don't look right on a widebody - wrong proprtions. And the front axle extended in front of the motor. I wouldn't cut the wheel wells out like that though - IMO it's much sweeter when the fatties are stuffed under the fenders.

Latest posts

Back