Rat sketch, whatcha think?

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Johnson

I have been getting the itch to build a daily driver rod(probably cut it up and shrink it). Something small, light, with all the luxurys(heat, windows, etc :p). It would have to have a hood, and couldn`t be too low(around here, cars that are too low lose their floors), so I was thinking of keeping the axle under the frame, running fenderless. My ideal power plant for a shrunk down rod would be a vw diesel, which can be mated to a yota or suzuki tranny for rwd/4x4 applications. I would want everything as simple/reliable as possible, manual tranny, manual steering, either leaves or coils(don`t know yet), non-assisted brakes. And titled as an older car so it would be emissions/inspection/etc exempt. All in all, it would be awesome [cl

So, here is a rough sketch of what I`m thinking:
Rat1.jpg

I hope this is in the right place. Keep in mind I`ve never had real drawing class. I think I`ll use this thread to keep track of all the concept sketches I do for this idea. Feel free to comment on them, or suggest a good car to use as a staring point.

Thanks,
Johnson

Disclaimer: This thread is no guarantee I will build it.

I will build one, just not necessarily one of the ideas in the thread. Like all true rats(and all of my cars, for some reason:confused:), it will just depend on what I can get cheaply enough. I`m actually looking to start stockpiling parts ASAP.

Also, keep in mind that the car will be scaled down to where it just seats two in front, with storage behind the seat. Storage for two reasons: 1) No room in what little trunk will be left, and 2) I like the look of those little windows, kind of like an extended cab truck.

Thanks. I`ve got a couple more, but they aren`t as good. Plus they don`t have anything to do with this idea. I have been thinking about what the pickup version of this would look like, might draw it later if the inspiration hits me.....

-Johnson

Here's what I did and what it ended up looking like.

The reason it was pink is because the truck I started with was a faded red one. I later decided to paint the cab flat black and the nose red and black. I like it better that way. Hey I'm sure not an artist but you do what you can ha ha.

Attachments

• paint job 003.jpg
    paint job 003.jpg
    82.1 KB · Views: 30
  • painted 004.jpg
    painted 004.jpg
    174.3 KB · Views: 34
  • Picture 001.jpg
    Picture 001.jpg
    128.8 KB · Views: 24
  • rat rod Dodge rendering.jpg
    rat rod Dodge rendering.jpg
    33.3 KB · Views: 25
Looks good, I just need something smaller and better on gas..... hence the small diesel. The only problem is with an engine that small, I need to shrink the car/truck/whatever I use, or the engine will be too small to get it rolling.... Could get involved rather quickly.

Latest posts

Back