Rat Sprinkler system ideas

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BigIrish

OK, OK, this is not even remotely related to cars but I want build something and looking for ideas.

I'm too cheap to install an underground sprinkler system and too busy (lazy) to put sprinklers out and take them in to mow. I want to build a long swing arm that will rotate out into the center of the lawn (small city yard) with a sprinkler head on the end to water the grass. When done, I want it to automatically swing back against the house out of the way of the mower.

So the trick is to find a way to make it swing out using water pressure. I'll have it hooked to a timer for auto on/off. I was thinking of using a small airbag that would fill with water and force the swing arm out. But I think an airbag is too stiff to work under low water pressure.

Any other ideas for a bag to use in something like this, or other simple way to swing the arm out? Thinking cap time! [P

You're going about it all wrong. Why spend money on building something when you have that lazy dog just laying around all day, doing nothing. Make him work for his food !!!!!! :D:D

Funny-Bloodhound-Garden-House.jpg

Don

use a water powered wheel that runs a ratchet. spring load the whole thing and put a "dead" spot in the ratchet. when it hits the dead spot at full swing the spring will pull it back to the wall. the water will continuously turn the wheel and it starts all over as soon ast the ratchet picks up the teeth again. Clear as mud right?[S:confused:[cl

If you want this totally automated, I would be concerned about a failure occurring and you watering the side of your house for an hour. Otherwise, just swing it manually - you're not THAT lazy are you?

If you want this totally automated, I would be concerned about a failure occurring and you watering the side of your house for an hour. Otherwise, just swing it manually - you're not THAT lazy are you?

You bet I am! Actually, I want it totally automated b/c I want to run the sprinklers while I'm asleep. The sun here will fry wet grass as if it was under a magnifying glass. Also I have an 85 year old house with original plumbing (low flow, 1/2 clogged with sediment) so running a sprinkler while trying to do anything else like wash dishes is frustrating.

But mostly, I just want it to be automated b/c it will be neat and make my neighbors think I'm just that much more crazy than they already do.

OK.LOL
Get you a fwd hub asym, (its strong and will let the arm swivel easy)mount the arm to the hub, mount the air bag so that the travel will give you the movement that you need. mount a spring on it so when the water is turned off it will retract the bag and put arm in storage position.40-60 psi of water should be enough to expand a airbag.Mount a sprinkler on the end of the arm so you can control the water spray location.Use a water timer to supply the water. Ok now get to work and send us pics.lol

7BmF.jpg

sprinkler_nozzle.jpg

Attachments

• arm.jpg
    arm.jpg
    11.5 KB · Views: 17
After thinking some more you may have to put a squeeze valve on the water line after the bag to restrict it to increase the water pressure to operate the bag.

ah! now I get it. you just want the arm to go out, water the lawn, and then go back in and off. I thought you wanted to turn it on and have the whole arm swing back and forth while watering the lawn. my bad![;)

Mount the beam vertically with a small tank at the end that will fill up and pull the arm down into position. Not sure how to get the water out of the tank though, unless the spray head was below the tank.

Mount the beam vertically with a small tank at the end that will fill up and pull the arm down into position. Not sure how to get the water out of the tank though, unless the spray head was below the tank.

You might have the right idea there. You don't necessarily even have to have the tank inline with the sprinkler. You could just have a seperate tank fill with a pinhole in the bottom. It will take a while to drain and you will waste a few gallons filling and letting it leak out...but might be the easiest way.

[S[S

kinda like that drinking bird contraption that goes on your desk. put a bunch of holes in the tank so it "sprinkles" out

Latest posts

Back