Rat?

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CR55

It's just a little surface rust!
I know this topic has probably been beaten to death, but I'm just curious what you guys consider a Rat? After reading some of the various builds I'm confused evidently!
Does a rat simply mean a rusted out heap or just removal of some body parts? What do you think?
No hate mail please!!!:D

I haven't been here long, but I hate seeing a " rat" with a rust free body, total chrome small block Chevy , square tube frame, and a wet sand away from a candy apple red paint job.

It is funny to me how the word Rat Rod spans such a differing range of opinions.

Anything from a rusted out pile of junk to a well put together hot rod can be termed that way by the general public.

Within the Rat Rod genre I think there are differing levels also.

Just build what you want, make it safe and enjoy it.

A rat is what you make it it can be anything from rusted to painted a perfect bare metal body to what ever else you want I've always believe that the rat term means imagination and how you use it or sometimes its because its how I find them full of rats lol

Okay......the other day I needed my DeWalt miter box from the back of my cramped little garage, as I was navigating the twisted little path past my Willys the base of the saw caught the corner of the cab and I could tell by the sound that it went through the paint. Had that been my '57 it would have ruined my day, blood pressure would have shot up and a plethora of anxieties would have set in...........But,I never even looked back, in fact I hadn't even thought about it again until I read this thread. Now that's a Rat to me.:cool:

This is a Rat Rod.
rats-rod1.jpg

This will be.
002-1.jpg

photobucket-4938-1321639566277.jpg

017.jpg

This is not a Rat Rod!
006z.jpg

I always considered my 40 Pontiac a Rat :D till the other day [S
It's built from several vehicles, chopped 3 inches, only a windshield for glass.
Now after being on this forum I know now I have a fat fendered hotrod and not a rat :cool:
This said I'm thinking the rat is a square bodied vehicle built from several other vehicles and not a round bodied fat fendered vehicle :)
The pickup is the exception to this, it's been able to be in the ratrod category longer than the cars because of the, chopping channeling and sectioning that make it look so much different ;)

IMG_1026-1.jpg

IMG_1028-1.jpg

Can a fiberglass Tbucket be a rat rod? the reason im asking is last May at a car show i entered my bucket as an open street rod and they ommited that class and put me in rat rod and i won. 2 of the judges had rat rods but all the other rat rodders took it hard i believe they were down right ****ed.

Attachments

• for sale 1.jpg
    for sale 1.jpg
    81.5 KB · Views: 32
Can a fiberglass Tbucket be a rat rod? the reason im asking is last May at a car show i entered my bucket as an open street rod and they ommited that class and put me in rat rod and i won. 2 of the judges had rat rods but all the other rat rodders took it hard i believe they were down right ****ed.
****ed? Yep rightfully so.
I've nothing against fiberglass vehicles. I feel they should have a separate class for the fiberglass cars though.

Car shows are funny around here if they dont have enough people in a class they combine classes.

It may be a dead horse, but till someone can reasonably give a definition, the question will remain. Here is something I pulled for some understanding of the term:

As with many cultural terms, there are disputes over the origin of the term "rat rod". Some say it first appeared in an article written in Hot Rod Magazine by Gray Baskerville about cars that still sported a coat of primer. Some claim that the first rat rod was owned by artist Robert Williams who had a '32 Ford Roadster that was painted in primer. Hot Rod magazine has since verified this.[1] Gray's use was in relation to "Rat Bikes," motorcycles thrown together from spare parts to be enjoyed and ridden, not necessarily to show the builders best fabrications skills. Although the term likely started out as derogatory or pejorative (and is still used in this way by many of the high dollar Street Rodding community), members of the subcultures that build and enjoy these cars have adopted the term in a positive light.

Like mentioned above the term came about from “Rat Bikes” (aka pack rat bikes, with junk hanging from every where) and pigeonholed a lot of cars into one category. Media once again defined an idea as the “norm” And due to the lack of the understanding of where the term came from we now have “Rat Rods”.

I myself have a hard time using the term “Rat Rod” to describe my ride, I like “Jalopy” or “beater”. In the traditional term “Doodle Bug” would be more fitting but not real manly. The terms “Rat Rod” and “Traditional” get over played.

Traditional by definition; adjective 1. of or pertaining to tradition . 2. handed down by tradition . 3. in accordance with tradition . 4. of, pertaining to, or characteristic of the older styles.

What we call traditional, at the time would be main stream. For the time, they used modern parts and building techniques on their old cars. So like the 50’ and 60’s main stream builders (now called traditional) we in time will go from main stream to “Traditional”

Below is some cool reading and a little insight:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rat_rod http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kustom_Kulture http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rat_Fink

I know this topic has probably been beaten to death, but I'm just curious what you guys consider a Rat? After reading some of the various builds I'm confused evidently!
Does a rat simply mean a rusted out heap or just removal of some body parts? What do you think?
No hate mail please!!!:D

Ask that question on the HAMB!:D Just kidding, I generally think of them as the radically modified truck cabs. I refer to most of the cars with patina as rusto rods or resto heaps depending on their over all condition and modifications such as engines. I consider my '50 a resto heap because the re's little modification, basically It'll look as though I added gas, antifreeze, and a battery and drove it out of the junkyard externally, but the engine compartment and under carriage you could eat off of if your into that sort of thing:D

Latest posts

Back