Really?!?!

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have a California Air Resource Board story from my 6 year stint on the Left Coast. I had scored a 68 Volvo 142 with a B20 2 liter engine. It had dual SU side draft carbs on it. I went through the carbs while tuning it up and the cleanest I could get it to idle was about 5.0 percent C/O and 800 ppm hydrocarbons which was within the guidelines of the "Smog Check" authorities for that year of car but considerably more dirty than cars of the day. This was in 1990 and most new cars then would idle at 1.5 percent CO and around 200-300 ppm on the hydrocarbons. So, being a professional mechanic I installed an aftermarket intake and Weber carburetor. In doing so, I got that car to Idle smooth @ 1.5 CO and 400 ppm HC. Next, being all proud of myself I took the car up to Fort Bragg to get a smog check. The guy that tested it was impressed at how clean it idled but failed the car on the visual inspection because it didn't have "original equipment" carburetors. So, I put the SU's back on it and adjusted the idle mixture right up to the legal limit, 8.0 percent CO and 1300 ppm HC. Went back to Fort Bragg and passed with flying colors. I have another story about the California Coastal Commission but it's just more of the same like in the article Low B shared.

It never ceases to amaze me the stupidity that comes from the Cali government. This is a train wreck happening before our eyes. Cali will implode from inside.

I posted a poem quite a while ago about THEM coming for your cars. Doesn't seem so far fetched now, does it?

Last edited:
That’s one of the reasons after 70 yrs in So.Cal I moved out [c Good part I sold that house for enough to pay for a much nicer home in NM [cl:D

I've got a few friends that are truckers that told some stories about the bs in Cali! I wonder why the trucking companies don't just tell em "we'll bring it to the state line, ya'll can pick it up in your overpriced electric golf karts from there".

I've got a few friends that are truckers that told some stories about the bs in Cali! I wonder why the trucking companies don't just tell em "we'll bring it to the state line, ya'll can pick it up in your overpriced electric golf karts from there".

lol... [cl

A lot of them have. Same thing with parts of the northeast, especially NYC.
With bans like those, there will be a lot more of them stopping at the state line.
They have already made it illegal to run trucks made before a certain year model, it’s just another step to them to ban all internal combustion trucks. When they do, the state will start to shut down. I hope if we have any members that still live there, they seriously consider going somewhere else as quick as they possibly can.

A lot of them have. Same thing with parts of the northeast, especially NYC.
With bans like those, there will be a lot more of them stopping at the state line.
They have already made it illegal to run trucks made before a certain year model, it’s just another step to them to ban all internal combustion trucks. When they do, the state will start to shut down. I hope if we have any members that still live there, they seriously consider going somewhere else as quick as they possibly can.

My friends told me similar tales. They were owner operators and ran older trucks.

Someone could buy up some land right across the state line along the major highways, and open warehousing operations. The out-of-state trucks could unload there, then the businesses in California could come get their stuff in their "electric golf carts" (like that one.... :D). Warehousing there would probably be cheaper than anyplace near the big cities anyway. Create some jobs in the process, too. Do it near the Indian reservations, and you'd have a huge work force right there.

So the politicians who are too incompetent to stop CA from becoming Mexico del Norte, the worlds richest third world country have the time to go after classic cars? What do they represent, maybe 1/10 of one percent of the vehicles on the road?

I watched the video from this link earlier today. (It has already been locked out for comment on another old car forum - too much politics, they say.)

But my impression of the video is that it's got a lot of scare tactics in it. Sure, all this might happen someday, but the part about not wanting to have the mileage recorded each year is kinda' funny to me, because I actually ASKED the local BMV here in Ohio if they could do it. I'd like to have that on official records each year, like (probably) all states that have annual inspections. (Other parts of Ohio, like big cities, probably do, I don't know. But our county doesn't do it. The agent just looked at me with that "deer in the headlights look".)

And, the business about people rolling back the speedometers - does this guy even know how long that has been basically impossible? (Because of computerization.)

And, the business about people rolling back the speedometers - does this guy even know how long that has been basically impossible? (Because of computerization.)

What difference does the miles on an odometer on a totally rebuilt car that probably has a different engine and driveline in it matter? A lot of folks put in all new speedometers and start out with zero mileage, and a lot of the ones still using the original ones don't work anyway, haven't in years.

Was watching auto mythbusters on Motor Trend a while back, they found it was actually pretty easy to roll back a digital odometer, easier in fact than a mechanical one.

What difference does the miles on an odometer on a totally rebuilt car that probably has a different engine and driveline in it matter? A lot of folks put in all new speedometers and start out with zero mileage, and a lot of the ones still using the original ones don't work anyway, haven't in years.

Was watching auto mythbusters on Motor Trend a while back, they found it was actually pretty easy to roll back a digital odometer, easier in fact than a mechanical one.

I wasn't clear in my comments - I took that guy to be talking about annual mileage - from one year to the next, after initial registration of the vehicle.

And I didn't know that you could do anything with the computerized odometers. But I remember from back before drill motors had a reverse in them, some shops would have a motor re-wound backwards, then just hook it up and walk away while it takes a few 10,000 miles off. (A dealership where my dad worked as a service desk partsman.)

Latest posts

Back