rear end width

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

demano

curious if anyone knows what is a good width for a rear end for a 28 tudor sedan that is lowered so frame is about 7 inches above ground, i have a 8.8 that i cut one axle tube to center the diff. was going to use on other project and was considering using for the 28 tudor but is to narrow, any ideas for flange to flange distance going to run rims with 4" backspacing, thanks for any info

The sedan bodies taper as they go up and are wider at the top than at the bottom, so as you drop down the body you need a wider rear end than if it sat higher.

My Son had to use a Chevy Van rear axle when he was building his Fordor and it was one wide sucker.......REALLY wide. But he was bagging it to sit on the ground, so he needed that width to clear the body taper.

Best bet for you is to prop the body at the ride height you want, buy the final wheels and tires, set the tires where they clear and look good, and then run a tape measure between the wheel mounting surfaces on both wheels. Then hit the junkyard with your tape measure.

That is the only way I know to do it and not have to end up using spacers because you messed up.

Don

Here is a picture of the rear he had to use, it was something like 65 inches wide as I recall. You will not need one that wide if you are 7 inches off the ground, but it will still be a somewhat wide rear because of the taper I mentioned.

79 f150 9" on mine, I think it measured 60" backing plate to backing plate so would probably be close to dons. I'm running 7.50x16's in the rear
1380398154.jpg

1380398105.jpg

Latest posts

Back