Rear leaf springs on a 31 ford

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Old Dude

I did a search and couldn't find any info on what I want. Has anyone used a pair of leaf springs on their rear end setup? I have the early Bronko rear, springs and frame mounts. I know I can mount them to the frame even if I have to relocate the springs. I'm wondering if the perches will interfere with the pickup box and fenders I'll be putting on. Any point of view will be appreciated.

What frame are you using? If it is an orignal A frame there is no overhang beyond the rear crossmember from which to hang the rear spring perches. Give us a little more info.

Don

i'm thinking those spring hangers will be very visible and protrude to the point of interference with the bed and fenders both not
only that, but also those springs were for a heavier rig and will make an A ride ruff...

i'd consider using just one of the springs and going cross-ways with it, kinda like Henry did them "back in the day"

or if a guy could swing it, coil-overs would be nice

I am doing that with my Model T pickup on a Model A frame. I cut the back of the frame and extended with square tubing. I used 4X4 1/4 wall just because I wanted more weight in the rear for traction. But you can use 2X4 .125 wall square tubing

For mounts I used 1948 Ford F1 rear spring mounts and bolted them to the rail. Spring are two 31 inch reverse eye Posie Springs. The rear is a 1975 Bronco rear with the stock spring mounts. The lower shock mounts are Mr Roadster three hole mounts with a 5/8 shock stud mount for the top. At this time I have no picture and I have it all back apart for final assembly.

Its not going to be the best ride But i did not build it for that. You can go with longer springs for a better ride. but I want to put a 4 foot long box on it.

Almost forgot I also zed the frame behind the cab.

Last edited:
Thanks guys. 40, you did almost the exact thing I want to do. I also have the same diffy. I thought my frame was cut off after my Uncle removed the spring assy and welded the original 2 speed diffy to the frame. I guess what messed me up was the 10:00x20's on the rear. There was some other stuff removed like the emergency brake rods. One operated the home made winch. Also, no brakes of any kind on the front. Just axle, spindles and 7:50x20 tires and wheels. Built for the back woods only. I don't know if you can see in this pic what I'm trying to say.
DSCN2853.jpg

Latest posts

Back