rear leafs on rat rod

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ratrodz

why do you not see leaf springs used more often on the rear of rat rods. i know on bobbers they would be to long. but most rats have 4' foot beds

I assume you are talking about parallel leafs? Since we are usually dealing with custom built chassis, there isn't much reason to use them. They ride rough, take up a lot of room and have no provisions for adjustment. That being said, it can be done, but usually it's just better to go with something more efficient.

I helped build this truck a few years ago. It has a 8" Ford on parallel leafs. It wound up working pretty good, but I wouldn't want to do it again. For all the trouble a coilover setup would ride way better and take up much less room. Here ya go...

truck2_large.jpg

farm_bed.jpg

The Bonehead truck is leaf sprung on the rear. The one I am building now is not.
I bent both rear springs on the Bonehead truck, and ruined some pretty nice airshocks in the process. The truck lauches hard and raised the front. And I was showing off with it one night and tore it up. I re-built the rear and put some better leafs in the back. You can see how the front of the springs are inside the cab.
hotrod7.jpg

Unless some money flies into my pocket, I'll probably be using the springs I got with the Explorer axle... probably add some traction bars however...

Just gotta use what you have available =)

Rear leaf springs?

I would say one of the reasons leafs are not used often is because a lot of us kick (Z) the rear of the frame to lower the vehicle. Using leaf springs would sort of defeat the purpose, my 2 bits[S. Steve

This spring over frame is what I am going to try and fit int he rear of my 49 Ford. I like it a bunch

gold03

Attachments

• SDC10866.JPG
    SDC10866.JPG
    72.9 KB · Views: 72
This kind of relates to this post, closest I came with the search function...

I need to lose some spring rate form the rear leaves in my Dodge.
Can't really take a leaf out as they are only a 3-leaf pack (plus overloads, which add no rate until it is heavily loaded).
If I shorten up the 2nd and 3rd leaf an inch or two either end, so the lengths are staggered a little more, and taper cut the ends to get rid of some friction, will this make a noticeable difference?
Just to make it extra painful, I don't want to lose any ride height either :)

leaf springs

a buddy of mine built his chopped coupe using trailer leaf spring he bought from a trailer manufacturer. 27 '' long and allowed him to drop the car easily . the car is chopped , chanelled and only stands 32'' tall:cool: oh and it has plenty of head room :D

Latest posts

Back