Rear Main Rope Seals

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hkestes

Just thinking out loud here.

I have a 48, 218 Mopar Flathead that uses the old Rope Seals for the Rear Mains. Of course even new seals eventually start leaking and the wife starts "pointing out":rolleyes: that the car is "ruining" the driveway.

Anyway, to replace these things you have to drop the tranmission, remove the bell housing and flywheel, drop the pan. So, not something you want to keep doing.

I was wondering is there something you could "soak" the rope seals in to impregnate them with a rubber or silicone like substance to help seal them? I know this would not work but something like the can of stuff you dip pliers handles in to coat it with rubber.

Any ideas or anything that you have tried in the past that has helped?

Best Gasket Company has a line of rope seals they call "GraphTite" that's supposed to stop leaking problems associated with rope type seals.

Thanks!!!

Gastrick,
Thanks for that tip... I've been putting off building a 283 for this very reason.

When y-block Fords were common there was a tool that was a small cable with a section on one end that would grip the rope ,the more you pulled the tighter it got. (like a chinese finger trap for those old enough to remember those) You would remove the oil pan,force out the old seal, route the cable over the crank, attach to the new seal and pull over the crank while bumping the starter.Be worth checking around to see if they are still available.

Latest posts

Back